1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
If you want a welder, buy a gas MIG, not flux, and it will take practice to use, welded is hard to get apart.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want a welder, buy a gas MIG, not flux, and it will take practice to use, welded is hard to get apart.
I can MIG weld, but this would be a probably a 1x use only.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I would rent one then. Stay away from the flux machines. The welds are not as pretty. LOL.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Nice clean welds and flux core don't belong in the same breath. If it is a one time thing you might as well pay someplace to do it. It shouldn't cost more than the price of a welder.

If you want to buy a welder, (which is nice to have) I would highly suggest investing in a 220V machine, the 110V machines are limited and don't do as nice of a job as a 220V machine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you don't have the exhaust system it may be more prudent to have a Muffler Shop do it. The shop I took my 68 Camaro to charged $568.00 parts/labor, from the header collector out the back 69 Z28 Style. Cost included SS Magnaflow mufflers, 2.25" alum pipe, chrome tips.

Fast forward. Three years later I purchased a '56 Chevy Coupe with a Muncie and 3.70 posi. Decided to install a TKO600. TKO Shifter is center mounted. Over the decades the PO's made the side shifter hole larger and larger. Purchased a Lincoln Pro Mig 180, cart, argon/co2 bottle= $900.00. Used the mig once to patch the hole (6" x 12") one year ago. Haven't needed a mig since. So.. it cost me $900 to patch a hole. Yes, I still have a 1X used mig system.

BTW, mig with gas is the best way to go. Kinda like golf....practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
If you don't have the exhaust system it may be more prudent to have a Muffler Shop do it.
Yep a few 'tricks of the trade' certainly make a big diff....
u dont have a welder...do you have a pipe bender?

And also to note I weld my exhaust system in to 1 peace front to back....

And u dont need a mig...gas is just as good.....and tig is definately the way to go over all.
I can MIG weld, but this would be a probably a 1x use only.
That is a crazy statement thu....I have yet to know someone who has brought a welder...even thu they thought that...and nevver regeted it...
They my sit under the bench...pay a few bucks on the bottle rental every 2 or 3 months....then one day the lawn mower breaks, the kids want a go kart knocked up out of an old Briggs and stratton to whizz around the house and thru the rose bushes...they learn fast not to do the rose bushes lol

But as commented above, getting a shop to make up your system as against buying a small gas mig....and u can bend ok....buy a bloody welder

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I can't imagine owning one of the old heaps and not owning a MIG welder if you do your own repairs/maintenance/modifications. Lots of uses around the house, too. MIG welding is fun. Sometimes I dream up stuff to do just so I can weld something.

Keep a spool of flux core wire around, though. Very handy for welding outdoors in the wind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts