Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a wire feed with gas be enough to weld in a roll bar or would you need a stick welder?

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
193 Posts
According to NHRA rulebook it must be welded with MIG or TIG. Stick and gas weld are not legal.

I put mine in with a 110 volt MIG machine.
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I have not been able to figure out why NHRA has that rule about cages. It is far easier to make a weld that looks good but isn't with a mig welder than with a stick.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
A mig will be fine if you prep the joints properly. This is very important for getting a good weld. They must be very clean, properly beveled and fitted. I tig welded mine in because you just can't beat the penitration and controll of this process, but it also takes a few years to get good at it.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just mig welded 2 in the last 6 months
both 12pt cages NHRA\IHRA rulebook states
mild steel use mig or tig
chrome moly use tig
I used .023 wire and gas mix first one I did
passed IHRA tech first time up second one
has not yet been inspected.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
dont use chrome moly unless you have some experience! real experience, not garage experimentation. with a roll bar if its put to real use your life could depend on it.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I was refering to a problem called cold laping. When you make a horizontal weld it is possible to not tie in to the top of the piece you are welding and have the weld look like it is fine with a mig welder. A stick weld will look bad if it is bad and is the deepest penetrating of all the weld types.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I don't have alot of experience but the problems I've seen when the weld isn't good are too low voltage or the wire feed speed is too slow. I've also seen some folks weld with their faces at a bit of a distance. I like to get up close and personal and watch the puddle. It helps me get better welds although I am learning.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I weld 40 hours a week or more and have found that your process is not always the determining factor. Often it is the operator that can make a beautiful weld with the siplest of machine, such as a 110 welder. the problem with the 110 is it will not properly penetrate over 3/16's. A 220 is good up to about 1/4 to 5/16. The real way to mig weld is to use a 440 3 phase with Argon. You will not believe the control and ease of running A good machine. especially on a joint that has 3 pieces of tubing meeting together. The only other proper way is tig, which is a totally different game all in itself. Ryan

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Actually 75% argon and 25% co2 works better. You are correct about the 3phase machines working better on thick metal. They are designed for production work and aside from the 3phase problems they are huge and expensive. For anything on a car a small mig is fine and for real thin things it is superior. Just remember a mig or tig must have clean metal to work. A stick is far more forgiving about the prep of the surface.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts