Team Camaro Tech banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
The laughs just keep on coming.. I pull the engine and trans back out last night, remove the starter and start taking the oil pan bolts off to swap pans. The last back pan bolt spins out of my fingers, shoots directly in to the open starter hole and is now somewhere in the bellhousing/clutch area.. not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or cry

20220503_202439 by F G, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
:mad:

Why is it the fasteners want to play hide and seek? And they're really good at it.

I was installing a set of headers in a big block '67 Camaro and dropped one header bolt. I never found it and had to buy another set to complete the job.

I recently removed the differential from a '57 Thunderbird and one of the 10 self-locking nuts took missing. Fortunately, we are replacing these nuts with the differential rebuild. In the same car one of the oil pan bolts jetted off to Narnia. I fished a replacement from my nuts & bolts box on the shelf. It's a mystery.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
:mad:

Why is it the fasteners want to play hide and seek? And they're really good at it.

I was installing a set of headers in a big block '67 Camaro and dropped one header bolt. I never found it and had to buy another set to complete the job.

I recently removed the differential from a '57 Thunderbird and one of the 10 self-locking nuts took missing. Fortunately, we are replacing these nuts with the differential rebuild. In the same car one of the oil pan bolts jetted off to Narnia. I fished a replacement from my nuts & bolts box on the shelf. It's a mystery.
They are mean little shits sometimes... i'm hoping i can fish it out with a flexible arm magnet

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
789 Posts
This missing bolt reminds me of why I sort of enjoyed pulling the front seats out ……there’s always going to be something there, that you forgot you had lost, or something you looked for and finally gave up trying to find it😁

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,532 Posts
When I removed the subframe from my car to sandblast it I had it hanging from my engine hoist. I moved it a little and heard something inside the crossmember. Got a flashlight and fished around in there a bit and reeled in a 30 or 40 year old 9/16" Snap On socket.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
789 Posts
Yea I hate that rogue bolt thing myself, but I really hate it when a plan falls apart……
I got my wheels this week….. much sooner than expected ( they initially said mid June)
I got to the shop after having them mounted, and found that they did not bore the center as specified on the order sheet. Moser 35 spline axle with a 3.060 register.
I ended up with adequate clearance on the spring and don’t need a spacer, so I’ll take the axles out and turn down the register 0.15 …minor setback.

So I’m gonna see how it all looks after the pinion shim to correct what was supposed to be “ perfect “
Wheels on , suspension loaded and…….
I’m an inch too far aft !?! ……. 🤬
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

I’m sure cutting and welding these poorly placed , powder coated “racecrap” perches is gonna be pretty when I’m done.
I should have just ordered a housing and waited the longer than desired lead time.
Sorry i dirtied up your thread….but you asked 😁

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Found the little bastard, Had to pull the trans and bell housing :mad:

20220507_163205 by F G, on Flickr
You just never would have got a magnet to stick on that one. It's amazing how "Random Order" can be so against us!
Brett.....

81 - 97 of 97 Posts