Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But running poorly. It took about 3 minutes of cranking to get it to fire. my Tach wasn't working, so I ended up ballparking the rpms to break in the cam. Once I ran it for about 25 minutes, I took it down to an idle. It was very hesitant to rev once I set the idle back down. Seems to be running rough. I may be off a tooth on the distributor. The more I pulled the vacuum advance towards the carb, the better it seemed to run.

Would year old gas be part of the problem here? How about a carb that also sat for about that same amount of time? I know I should have changed the gas and the carb, but I didn't.

No leaks so far.

Next weekend I'll put new gas in, and I hope to have a new carb by then.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats Craig!

It sounds like your timing is off for sure. Did you get a timing light on it?
Carb could be a bit gunked up from sitting too.

I didn't get the light on it. Once it was done breaking in, I packed it up for the day. I just ordered a new carb (wanted one for a while) so I'll get that one this week. Went with a Holley 4160. Seems like a good all around carb. I'll get the light onj it this week too.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
If the tank's not to full, lose the old gas, too. Slide an oil drain pan under the fuel pumpl, and puill the rubber input line off. All the fuel will siphon right out, you won't even have to suck the hose.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I had the same problem for a while, In my opinion the gas shouldn't be the culprit at all, maybe a small small factor. I mean it doesn't help at all your real issue is probably deeper than gas, incorrect timing, too mucho camo, how's your carb set up.....
"***Thow some Sea Foam in it***"

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure it is more timing than anything. The carb isn't helping either. The cam is the Voodoo 268, so I know it isn't overcammed or anything like that. There was a lot of smoke when I first started it up, but that stopped within about 15 seconds. I'll get the timing right and see where it goes from there. I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmm I have the Voodoo 268 also and can't get mine started. Been messing with it for months. It had better run like a bat out of hell if it is the cam causing so much trouble.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The minute you start up an engine you should check the timing on it and set it really close. Dont get all bent out of shape "breaking in the cam". Get the timing and idle set then break the cam in!!!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Chris, when you lined your timing marks up did you put the dot together? If you did, and then installed the distributor, you are 180* out. On a small block, when the dots are pointing together, that is #6 cylinder at top dead center. When you line the marks up and install the chain, you have to turn the crank one full turn to get the cam dot at 12 and the crank dot at 12. That will put you at #1 cylinder at TDC. Just a thought. I didn't know this for the longest time. I always wondered why my car wouldn't start and the dist. was always 180* out.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I am confused. If the dots are pointing together, then the cam is at 6 and the crank is already at 12, no? I always thought that it was number one on tdc, cam dot at 6 crank dot at 12. !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

alan

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
The crankshaft turns 2 revolutions to the camshafts 1 revolution. Both Dots at 12 o'clock on the gears IS firing No. 1. Dot to Dot (I hate that wording) IS firing no. 6. Charlie is right... Alan you are confused. NOTE: This is for a small block Chevy !

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The minute you start up an engine you should check the timing on it and set it really close. Dont get all bent out of shape "breaking in the cam". Get the timing and idle set then break the cam in!!!
On a flat tappet cam, break-in is the absolute first priority. If the timing is close enough to fire and run it's good enough. Setting idle should be done with the engine warm anyway, so best to get through break-in and then fool with the fine tweaks.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I agree. Timing off by too much is a bad thing. And who says you can't put a light on it no matter what rpm it's at or just twist the distributor til it sounds best(usually ccw for advance).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts