Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started looking for a project car. I am interested in a late 80's / early 90's Camaro Z28. I am not familiar with this vehicle platform what so ever. I could use some simple guidance in the right direction.

My goal is to restore / create / modify a car primarily for road handling. What are the major weak points I should concentrate on for improved ride and handling?

I'd like to build a warm 350 engine - between 300 and 350 hp. What's the a good coarse for this vehicle type? Street legal and emissions are a must. I'm also not interested in anything radical like NOS or blowers.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You can modify a 3rd Gen Camaro and make it a great g-machine. Springs, shocks/struts, bushings, frame connectors and strut tower braces all help with the foundation. Putting in tubular a-arms, trailing arms and an adjustable panhard rod help too. All of these things will take a lot of the flex out of the car. As for the engine, stick with an injected small block. You can buy a reliable crate engine or build something of your own The tranny will be a personal preference. Automatics are ok but if you intend to do any kind of autocross or similar competition you need a manual 5 or 6 speed. Again you can use OEM or go with a Tremec or Richmond. Good Luck with whatever choice you make.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Are you looking for a third gen? Because I would consider the first fourth gens too, and they come with LT1 engines and 6 speed transmissions. And a '93 is early 90's isn't it? Ofcourse it all depends on your budget and maybe you like the third gen better.

Either way, for handling I would lower the car with some lowering springs and some stiffer quality shocks, add some stiffer sway bars and replace the stock rubber bushings with some greasable poly bushings. Then add some strut braces and get the biggest wheels for it, by then your pockets will be empty ;)

Good luck and let us know what you'll find....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts