Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
What are the best fitting headers that will not have clearance problems with the power steering . My car is a 67 and I have a new GM Parts performance 383 with Aluminum heads. I also am going with a Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 EFI so I need the bung hole

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hedman Hustlers are designed to clear the P/S box and the
Z bar for the clutch linkage.
They don't hang down low under the car either.

Billy

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
This is from my previous post. Great headers. You will have to weld in your own bung though. I put mine on the passanger side just in front of the collector. Looking at the collector from the back , I put it around 10 o clock.

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx Billy and Keith , Keith you have the type I was going to buy but summit don't carry them anymore . I was thinking of going with Doug's. Anyone running a set of Doug's ?

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I have a '69 with the factory power steering. I'm using the Doug's Headers D-368's. They are 1 3/4 diameter. The ZZ383 motor has raised exhaust ports so I the slotted the header flanges and raised the headers to match the ports. Everything clears except the reverse lock out for the Hurst shifter. I just don't use it.

The D-368's are also ceramic coated. They are pricey but I'd use them again.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
Thanx Billy and Keith , Keith you have the type I was going to buy but summit don't carry them anymore . I was thinking of going with Doug's. Anyone running a set of Doug's ?
Dam, I bought them less than a year ago. Crazy. Good luck with the search.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
The Doug's D-368's will bolt up to your ZZ383 heads but the ports don't line as well as they should. They can be as much as 3/16 too low, that's why I slotted the mounting holes.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Flowtech works fine and Dynomax as well. Have a set on my truck that sits outside for 15 years and has held up well. 2 69's have each and I am satisfied. . . .price is good too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ran Schoenfeld 1 3/4’s on my 410” sbc with no issues for years. I just changed my headers over to Doug’s Tri-Y’s based on wanting more torque and reading some great street reviews on having 1 5/8” over 1 3/4” when under about 600hp. I also changed from 220cc profilers over to 195cc ATK (profiler casting with smaller exhaust port) Wanted more street grunt.

The Doug’s tri-y’s smashed right into the pitman arm. To get the driver side in had to take off the power steering box, tipped the motor over, and pry stuff everywhere. The RH side fit perfectly. Unreal, You would think with all the room because of the design they would move the Tube somewhat to completely avoid possible interference. I had to dent the tube a good bunch to give me 3/8-1/2” clearance. Should be fine now.

Motor is in stock position, ATK heads exit in stock location, stock subframe, and GM powersteering box with GM pitman arm.

It’s all together just waiting for spring. Does sound crisper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts