Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to convert my 67 to tubular a-arms. Any thoughts on the cheaper ones that CPP is selling, says they are made over seas. Is it worth it to buy the Global West ones at twice the price?

thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the global west arms and I'm extremely happy with them. I don't think you can go wrong if you stick to some of the well know manufacturers(speedtek, global west, dse,SC&C). Keep an eye on the classifieds here too as I've seen a few pop up for sale. Global West's arms have some built in caster to them which our cars seem benefit from. I'm not sure if the other do or not.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I would say tubular A arms are not necessary, according to David Pozzi and my car was aligned just fine without them ! (It is not used for Autocross.) It does have the guldstrand mod.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,529 Posts
What about doing the guldstrand mod and adding coil overs? Can you add coil overs with stock a-arms?
Why do you want coilovers? Ease of setting ride height once, or are you going to be setting and resetting ride height frequently? Remember, each time you change ride height, you need to realign the car. If it's ease of setting ride height once, I'd use AFCO adjustable spring spacers http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynate...oduct_Code=20191&Category_Code=ct_coil-access and their 9.5 inch springs http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynate...tore_Code=A&Category_Code=ct_springs-gm-front.

However, the short answer is you can use the QA1 style coilovers that run the top of the spring to the spring pocket in the subframe and the bottom to the shock (not my favorite setup) but you should reinforce the LCA which was not designed to take the weight of the car on the shock mount.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am going to convert my 67 to tubular a-arms. Any thoughts on the cheaper ones that CPP is selling, says they are made over seas. Is it worth it to buy the Global West ones at twice the price?

thanks!
Feel free to send me a pm on Global West arms. I have them in stock and have room to move on them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Global West will work fine if you are on a tight budget.
But, if you can afford the DSE or the Speed-Tech, you will be very happy!!:thumbsup::beers:

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,529 Posts
Global West will work fine if you are on a tight budget.
But, if you can afford the DSE or the Speed-Tech, you will be very happy!!:thumbsup::beers:
Your post implies there are quality or functional differences between the GW control arms on the one hand and the DSE/Speedtech on the other.

What are they?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Agreed with several of the comments above. No matter what arms you buy, make sure they're made in the USA. The imported stuff has not only been prone to fail in the past, but we've also heard from several customers that they don't even fit right sometimes, since the factories over there don't use high-end jigs. It's not worth compromising safety to save money on something as critical as a control arm.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Agreed with several of the comments above. No matter what arms you buy, make sure they're made in the USA. The imported stuff has not only been prone to fail in the past, but we've also heard from several customers that they don't even fit right sometimes, since the factories over there don't use high-end jigs. It's not worth compromising safety to save money on something as critical as a control arm.
The hotchkis Arm's were not ready when I wanted to do A arms ,so I went with Speed tech so far so good ,did the TVS kit at the same time ,like a new car ...witch ever ones you do USA made ,too much junk from oversea's vendors....:yes: Happy motoring

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ok I know this is an old thread, but I have same question now. So now the years has went by, what is the best way and product for tubular A-Arm... what vendor? I have mine apart right now and one top a-arm is bent a bit so this is the time to do it...

Also I was told to just get uppers thatvthe lowers don't really do much, is this so? Wii Ibhave to drill or make changes?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts