Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 conv. that is right now in the body shop about ready to be painted. I am having the front bumper done away with, "I'm going for that clean look" and as they were taking off the bumper mounting brackets, they pulled out these canister things from inside the front wheel wells. The things are about the size of a large can of tomatos and weigh about 30 pounds or so. Is this some type of crash absorber? I woundered if these canisters contain a big spring? Has anyone out there messed with these things? Thanks for your time

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
They are called Cocktail Shakers. There is one in each corner of the convert. I believe It puts weight out on the corners to help keep the car from sagging in the middle. There are 2 coil springs holding a weight in the center of it and it is full of oil. True Rocket Science.

[This message has been edited by clill (edited 08-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by clill (edited 08-17-2000).]

·
11,623 Posts
Draayer, the "cocktail shakers" were put there (1 on each corner) to reduce the vibration (I think at highway speed)that occured on the conv due to the lack of body stiffness (a.k.a no roof) A lot of people take them off for weight reasons, but they were put there for a reason. Whether you can feel the difference without them is a test that you can try, just don't throw them away, they can be pricy to replace. Good Luck, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I am working on it!)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Can you picture a conv. going over some rail road tracks with a rise in it and not haveing the weights in it? You need to put them back in, you also should of found 2 more in the trunk.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As car companies, especially in the 60's, tended to not put things in cars unless they had to, I would be hesitent to remove the "cocktail shakers". As has been said the shakers, as well as the extra x-member on the center tunnel, make up, or attempt to make up, for the lack of body stiffness because of the lack of a roof.

I had not heard the vibration piece but it makes sense if you think about the exotic content of the devices. I always thought they were just full of oil.

------------------
Mark M.
Red 67 Convertible
Red Deluxe Interior
383/Tremec 5 Speed
4 Wheel Disk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ever bounce one lightly on the floor? You can feel the spring inside them and they are filled with ATF(dont ask me what kind, besides Im not going to put type F in my Chev.)

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
There's a block of metal in them along with about 1 qt 2 oz of ATF to dampen vibration. The convertibles can use the help. Better yet, would be some welded subframe connectors and stiff(er) body mounts. I use solid ones from Global West.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replys, a couple of things I didn't mention. I now have a 396 BB in the car so as far as weight I think I have enough, also have completely gone through the suspension, and as for support I have some sub frame connectors already to be installed.. With these changes am I OK to leave the shakers out?? Thanks again for the replys.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The big block won't help things because most of it's weight is behind the front axle. The problem with convert.s is that when you go over bumps they tend to sag between the axles from all the weight there. The Cocktail Shakers outside the axles in the farthest corners attempt to counter-act the car trying to sag in the middle. With good subframe connectors and the center floor brace you should be OK though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Adding the big block doesnt reduce the need for them, the big block convertibles had them too. And they also had all new suspension.
Ron

------------------
95 Z28 Convertible M6
70 Chevelle SS 396,
66 Nova SS 327 M21

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
My '69 Camaro Factory Assembly Manual call them "Body Dampeners". A side note 1.25 gals of auto trans fluid is what it takes to fill them.

Subframe connectors will stiffen but don't provide dampening to the body. I think the more you do to stiffen the subframe and suspension you might find you need the dampeners even more. By removing the roof you have reduced body ridgety as well as the overall ridgety of the frame. The cross brace replaced the strength provided by the roof and the shakers keep the four coners from vibrating...

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Yes, the GM manual does call for 1.25 gallons. However, it is a typo as I had one that leaked and, after the repair, it took a bit less than 1.25 quarts. A gallon container is larger than the dampner!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
...let us not forget the 10k tune ups on these bad boys.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, it's moments like this that remind me why I didn't buy that firebird. Full frame A bodies never have these troubles.

My feelings are that since GM loved the camaro so much for racing they'd probably not want them to snap in the middle on the street. I say run them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey If you realy dont want to use them I'll take them Our 68 convertible project car came without them Sure could use a set . THANKS

[This message has been edited by mike's 68 (edited 08-20-2000).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 68 that I am putting a new 383 roller motor in that is going to rock and I just noticed mine are missing in the trunk. The car rides great right now and is extremely smooth over RR tracks. Do you all of you really think I need them. Any comment are appreciated!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts