Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed two 6 inch speakers today, and when I removed my unit I think I unplugged one of the wires. I had it just set up to run off the battery no ignition power needed. Would I have to put that wire into the battery butt connector or do I really have to hook up the ignition power from the deck to the ignition switch power wire?

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
There should be a seperate power wire if your head unit has a clock, hook this up to the battery connector.....Hook up the head unit power to the ignition switch power connector so that it will be in a switched position when you turn on the ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a aftermarket stereo, kenwood one of those fancy ones. Do I have to hook it up to the ignition switch because I just want it to turn on without the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Use accessory power for the main power feed. That way you can turn the key back to accessory and power the radio without running the ignition and burning up your coil or putting an unecessary load on your battery.

You can hook the main power feed directly to the battery, but I personally wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But I cant find that power wire haha. Its a mess down there. I was wondering if anyone knew what color the radio wires were for a 75 or just in general. Its frustrating down there...

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I think I'm beginning to understand your question Levi. We're all looking at each other thinking, "...the guy has the radio in his hands...didn't it come with instructions...". Are you wanting to know what the original radio power wires were so you can tap into those?

That's a good idea if that's what you're wanting to do. Unfortunately I dont' have a schematic for a 75 to refer to. Hopefully I'm on to something here and someone with a 75 manual can tell you what you want to know. Otherwise, I'd consider getting a hanes manual for an assembly manual for your Camero for future reference.

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
OE wiring in '75 was still mechanical stereo, meaning there was no memory and no clock for continuous battery power. Orange or pink wire from OE harness might be ign power.

The Kenwood unit needs its yellow wire for battery power to fuse panel spade labelled BAT? Kenwood red wire for igniton feed fuse panel IGN spade? Or to BAT spade if you run it from battery power.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OE wiring in '75 was still mechanical stereo, meaning there was no memory and no clock for continuous battery power. Orange or pink wire from OE harness might be ign power.

The Kenwood unit needs its yellow wire for battery power to fuse panel spade labelled BAT? Kenwood red wire for igniton feed fuse panel IGN spade? Or to BAT spade if you run it from battery power.
You da mayn! I see this red wire just hanging there with a connector for a fuse box connection and its not plugged in. Maybe that could be why it isnt working zzz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts