Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a new 383 crate engine into my 67 vert and the company I am getting it from will paint the engine whatever color I chose. I dont really want the stock orange color since the car is not numbers matching anyway. I was thinking about either dark blue or light blue to match the car. What do you guys think?

The color of the car is Nantucket blue which was a factory color in 67.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Your car looks great!! What color is your firewall and inner fenders? I originally painted my 383 orange, but changed it to black before we put it in the subframe. Since my car is going to be silver and black. I am running the silver, black and chrome theme throughout the car.

I know that Chip Foose seems to paint a lot of his engines to match the paint color.

You can check out my engine with the black, silver and chrome theme. The first three pictures are when I bought it so don't look at those, currently it does not have the front clip on.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jhilts71

By the way, what size tires and wheels did you run?

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
If you have black firewall and inner fenders, why not stick with chev. orange? Its a great contrast to black. POR makes a great chev orange :)

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I don't think Orange will do that car justice. The problem with painting it a light color is you will see all the dirt and seepage. I don't think dark blue would look good either. I am assuming the engine compartment is black? If so a black and chrome engine will fit in nice (hard to go wrong with black and chrome). The only other color that I think would look good would be light blue (similar to the body color), but you will have to stay on top of keeping it clean.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My first vote is black, my second is orange. If I saw your engine painted the same color as your car, I would first think its a Pontiac engine, because I have seen some painted a similar color, but maybe they were not factory. Just my 2 cents...It would probably be easier on you to narrow it down to two different colors that you like and then let us decide for you :) Otherwise you might get 50 different color opinions by the time this thread is finished.

Oh and if you decide that you want to paint it a color that doesn't match your car, like say brown or yellow, I'd be more than happy to take that sweet ride off of you hands with or without an engine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If it was mine I think I would paint it Saphire blue with a silver base coat and then put on a set of Blue spark plug wires with a Blue distributer cap. I have put together lots of engines and almost every single one has been a different color with just regular ole Krylon spray paint. Works just fine. The only other time I didn't use Krylon was when I used VHT Engine paint. As long as you have a clean surface the paint should last for a long time. I've had people tell me to not use regular Krylon because it will "Burn off, Chip or peel" but so far I haven't had any problems You want to put on several coats of paint though.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
interesting post... my first thought was "CHEVY ENGINES ARE ORANGE!"
Then I read a lil further... My engine is out, and the underhood is body color (lamens blue) with a lot of chome, polished alluminum, and SS hoses.

Would it look better with the block and heads black?

On the POR15... Last year when I had it out (sigh...) I primed the block and heads with black por15, then shot krylon orange on top of it. I'm for sure noticing that certain solvents and activity's will melt / chip the krylon pretty easy... The por stays put, it'll even laugh at a wire brush!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Originally, when I thought I was going back stock, I painted it Orange. However, after deciding to paint the engine bay silver. I looked at the engine on the stand and thought why paint it a factory color, if I am going to change the engine bay. Black on silver looks a lot better than orange on silver.

However, everyone has different tastes.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Jim, yours would look good in pink....
JimM said:
interesting post... my first thought was "CHEVY ENGINES ARE ORANGE!"
Then I read a lil further... My engine is out, and the underhood is body color (lamens blue) with a lot of chome, polished alluminum, and SS hoses.

Would it look better with the block and heads black?

On the POR15... Last year when I had it out (sigh...) I primed the block and heads with black por15, then shot krylon orange on top of it. I'm for sure noticing that certain solvents and activity's will melt / chip the krylon pretty easy... The por stays put, it'll even laugh at a wire brush!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your ride is sweet! If you go with a blue color, make sure it matches your exterior color exactly. Pontiac has an engine color similar to your cars paint color...but don't use that! I think good old Chevy orange would look right in a black engine compartment. Lots of race engine builders recommend BLACK. It's supposed to dissipate heat better. (like an OE radiator) My 3 choices: Stock look = Chevy Orange, Custom look = Your Nantucket Blue, Race look = Black & Chrome/Aluminum theme.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback on this one guys. I am torn between going with either matching the color of the car or going with black. The silver suggestion was pretty good also. The engine bay is all black right now. I will try to post a pic once I get the engine in and running. If I dont make up my mind it may end up being pink! :clonk: Stay tuned.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Cast iron gray would look really good. NOT the Aluminum color. They make a cast IRON color that looks just like fresh metal. Makes the motor look really new and contrasts good with black and chrome. Be cautious there are several brands some are a very light gray that I don't like I like the Darker color that really mimics the virgin iron.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Buck said:
Jim, yours would look good in pink....
That's funny Buck, I kinda figured yours would look good in yellow!!

We are talking about your garden here right???

·
Registered
378 Posts
A girl in one of my autoshop classes painted her block pink for her 50's chevy truck. Umm don't do that, lol. If you want to be different have it chromed because I would love to see it the day its finished. Of course from then on it would never look clean again, but it would look good for a day or two. Black and chrome, love it. D

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Milehigh67,
Very nice car. I vote body match paint. Caution though, I originally did that to mine (Marina Blue) and the heat of the block causes it to discolor in places. I then found a rattle-can engine paint that was very close to the body color and now it looks great.
Although you just asked for engine color ideas, somebody also mentioned matching your distributor cap and getting blue plug wires. I did that and really like it. Here are a few other ideas for the engine compartment if you are going the body color/chrome/SS route.
-Kool Blue air cleaner
-Powdercoat the inner fenders silver
-Paint the brake booster silver or have it chromed/master cylinder body color
-Paint the washer motor body color
-Blue vacuum lines/washer fluid lines

I'm gonna get flamed by some for those suggestions, but theme of the engine compartment should be what you want. Stock, custom, whatever (except pink...not allowed under any circumstances)

BTW, I also like TexasPerfProd's idea of cast color. A Chrome/SS/Cast color/black engine compartment would be sweet. But what do I know, my wife usually picks out my clothes for me when we go out...

Scott

·
Registered
146 Posts
Another vote for body color:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts