Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they get painted / powdered semi or gloss? My fender wells are powdered semi black and look nice. Should I match them? Anyone have pictures of there hinges? Gray or black?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Hinges and springs are phosphate. If you decide not to phosphate them, you can mimic it by painting cast blast, and then from a few feet away "spritz" a little flat black on it. Not too much as to make it black, just enough to give it a blackish hue to the gray. Do not waste your money on the OEM stuff that costs $30/can.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Eastwood has a Zinc Phosphate paint in an aerosol can (10281Z) for $10.99. I have had good luck with their products.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
There have been pics posted showing unrestored hood latches with a black painted spring, but I have not come across one like that myself.

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Mr. MacNeish says gloss black on the spring.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you are in a hurry, you can find the finishes online at www.67z28.com
Info from Jerry MacNeish and a speaker at the Camaro Nationals are itemized.

However, you should still buy the MacNeish book.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
ALL the misc books including MR. MacNeish's may give an overfew of misc paint and plating finishes..........but no book (I've seen) has specific detailed info on brands, part #'s, formulations and what not of how to acheive the knowledge and info, MANY people are seeking.
There have been several magazine articles written many years ago by the likes of Roger Gibson and others that provide insight......
IF I ever take the time (and G-D knows when that might be) I will attempt to scan, copy and paste everything I have to shed more light on this subject.
My personal thanks to RamAirDave for his willingness to share .............

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Below are pics of misc 69 Camaro COPO's & L-78's restored by the SuperCar Workshop or Larry Christiansen...........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts