1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
Here is what I am trying to decide.
I pulled the original 307 from my 69 'vert, and installed an IROC
TPI engine. The car runs better than it ever has, more power reliability, mileage etc. The original engine as far as I know was never out of the car, until I pulled it. It still runs, just tired. I have limited storage space.
So do I keep it, will it make the car more valuable in the future, or should I sell it off. I also have the original power glide.
Thanks for all the good advise
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
By all means keep it, If your sure its origanal. It may not be the best motor but its the origanal.You can even rebuild it & put it back in for more value.(Your not thinking of selling it(car) are you:noway: )If the whole car is origanal keep every drivetrain componant. Now thats my opinion, see what others say.Got pics, Would like to see it.:yes:

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would say find some room and keep it. Ya never know , some number matching geek may come along and offer you some astronomical amount of money for your car if has the original drivetrain. Just my 2 cents , probably not even worth that. he he .

·
Registered
601 Posts
i would keep it definately number matching car worth more than a non matching car. look at barret jackson what cars original going for numbers matching. 10-20 years from now you will be kicking yourself in *** since you got rid of original motor.:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Just check some of the posts on here or CRG with people that have been trying to find their original engine for years some as long as 20! You don't know what will happen down the road. 69's with 307's might be the rage someday and your # matching engine etc. will be worth more than you thought it could have been. I laughed once in High School looking at a 65 vette 350 horse 327 coupe just repainted, new interior etc. $4500 and I said who would pay that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great feed back. I've been thinking of the best way to handle this for a while,
I don't think I'll ever use it in the car, but it is the original.
As much as I really don't want to store it, I would probably kick
myself once it was gone, kind of like getting rid of a favorite car :)
I'll post a pic if I can figure out how to do it :clonk:

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
Make room for that engine and tranny in your garage or somewhere safe. Its worth $$$$ to the value of your car. SHARP car too I might add :thumbsup:
Tell the Mrs. that pile of steel could add $10,000 or more to the value of your 'investment' and it must be preserved :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Pretty car!
I'm saving my cars original engine. I cleaned up up and put it on a rolling engine dolly.

·
Registered
356 Posts
That's a gorgeous car. I have a 69 rs convert also. Get a stand for it and have a glass top cut to cover it and tell the misses it's a modern art coffee table! Well at least get one or make a stand with wheels so you can roll it around and out of way so it won't be as much trouble sitting unmovable. Don't forget to coat the cyclinders so they don't rust till motor is scrape

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try to talk the MRS into letting me use it for a table, I don't think I'll win that one, but maybe we could compromise for a new set of wheels :)
Thanks for the compliments on the car, its been alot of work as you all know, and it never ends. There are always new cool stuff to improve them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
chrome ball or black

Hey guys, OK Stupid Question, Ricks say chrome shifter ball for high performance cars & Black shifter ball for non High performance car. but others say chrome ball for console cars & black ball for non console cars. I have a 327-4bbl console car, what is right for me, I say chrome but Im confused:confused: Help.

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yep, I definitley go with the "keep the original engine" crowd. You won't regret it but you may regret getting rid of it. :beers:

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Mothball that motor, as a rule alot of banks cut the loan value in 1/2 if numbers do not match..............that says something within itself......it'll make your car worth more down the road,My 1st. 69 was #'s match 307 Glide car, I had the protecto-plate, originals dealers invoice, original bill of sale ,inspection slips and all and sold it . Even though not a collector, I now realize the possible someday value...............Nice Car.......................Alan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the offer, After all the great comments from this site, I guess I need to make room for it. I'll spray the cylinders, clean it up and try to seal it as much as I can. Same with the tranny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.