Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '82 Camaro with a 305. There is a vac. port off of the intake manifold that goes to this part...on the driver's side mounted to the firewall. This little rectangular box also has a still cable that goes over to the passenger side of the car (along the firewall) and down into the unknown.

Any idea what this little box is? Is it required if I don't have a computer installed & I've stripped emissions?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know exactly which part you are talking about, its rectangular length wise (@ 6-8"), but 1/2 circle shaped width wise. I have had it on all the 3rd gens that I have owned. It is not carb specific b/c my CFI powered car had one, too. I wish I could tell you what it is or does, but I know that it's not the MAF/MAP. Cruise, maybe but doubtful. The cruise on the early 3rd gens has a box mounted in front of the driverside wheel well, to the left of the 'blue juice' tank, it has the speedo cables and some vacum lines, then there is the control unit that has the throttle cables mounted to it. I will try and take a pic of one of mine for identification and post if you can't. I think it might be emissions though. BTW, The carbon canister is mounted by the cruise boxes on the driver side, too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the pics, but I can't figure out how to upload them...it's not like email I guess...can anybody help? I can send the pics to someone if they can upload them, or tell me how to do it...thanks for dealing with my keyboard inadequecies :confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You knew exactly what I was talking about! I think the MAP sensor is to the right of it. I took a picture of it, too...but I can't figure out how to post it, either. It isn't a FAQ.

Can anybody tell us how to post a picture?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, Don. The part I'm talking about is mounted on the firewall...above the power brake booster. It has one connection to the intake manifold, and the other line is more rigid...can't tell where it goes, though.

If I'm not running emissions (no computer), can I ditch the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (that's it to the right of this unknown part, isn't it?), and this...mystery component?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep, it is the MAP that is to the right, and the mystery part ave the pb. I had disconnected the part one time myself, and it didn't allow the eninge to idle properly (like a vac leak), but that was on the CFI 83. I believe that it still has something more to do with how the mix is determined or timing maybe, b/c I have had no emissions on mine, but I left it set up anyway. I also left the MAP plugged in b/c it still feeds info to the computer, which is still controlling your q-jet (I assume). Once again, mine was a Crossfire model, but unplugging either one affected drivability.

Thanks for posting the pics Camaroman! I have closeups of mine unbolted from the firewall if either of you need them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update...now that it is summer, I know what that part is. The mystery part is a vacuum assembly for the HVAC. If you disconnect it, you will have no A/C. The defalt of the HVAC is Defrost...that's all you'll get when you expect cool air.

Just thought I'd mention this in case somebody else followed the same path that I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts