Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fire wall coil mount.jpg

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. I ALREADY HAD TO MOVE THE COIL AWAY FROM THE HEADERS:hurray:

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Not that it really matters, but I used to put my ignition coil on the inside of the car. Lots cooler in there.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I ran my fuel line on top of the frame just to the inside of the inner fender.
drilled 2 1/4" holes and tapped them for brackets to hold the line in place

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I'm using the same filter. Here is where I put mine.

image.jpg

If you are running an electric pump you have more flexibility with filter location than with mechanical pump setups.

·
14,081 Posts
I thought the shorter the coil wire the better
On my 67 I have the MSD box and Blaster Coil in the glove box. Coil wire is about 18" long.

re: the OPs set up. I like the filter on the frame rail and the coil closer to the dizzy . The way he has it looks ok and will work fine plus looks like he already drilled the firewall.

With the filter to carb line coming out stright up in that location running the filter to carb line will be a challenge.

He has the carb fitting at the front of the motor so don't know how the fuel line will run. He could move the filter closer to the motor where the 3 holes are and feed from the rear of the carb. That would look cleaner

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I use 2 wix fuel filters. one before the fuel pump and one after.
I made a bracket and fastened it to the head to hold the filter.
the other is mounted on the frame rail

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I just kinda follow GM's lead, and just use the sintered bronze filters behind the fuel inlet nuts on the Holley - about 12 years now w/o issue. I modified a repro Z/28 fuel line with a brass T to run the 2 lines to the float bowls. I mount the coil on the intake and have possibly the world's shortest coil wire outside of a coil- in-cap HEI

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Al.

Looks like mine for both fuel and ignition location (never had a heat issue with a stock mounted coil). Can't beat stock GM mounting efficiency and you don't have to drill holes into your brand new smoothed firewall (seems a shame).

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am toying with it... nothing is set on stone yet. No room under dash for coil. I think I like the look on the firewall. I was going to paint it gun metal like the car is going to be painted. But I am going back to black.
I have to smoth the fire wall out again anyway.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled the msd COIL off the firewall. Now the questin is where to mount it?
Any suggestions what bracket would i need to fasten it on the distributor?

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I pulled the msd COIL off the firewall. Now the questin is where to mount it?
Any suggestions what bracket would i need to fasten it on the distributor?
If that's where you want to mount it, take a look at the figure 8 bracket for a 56-57 Corvette.

You will have to engineer your own, either that or pay nearly a hundred dollars for a reproduction, which may or may not be the right size to fit your distributor and coil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts