Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Centerline auto drag rims, 15x8.5 that have 28x10.5 slicks on them...I want to use the rims for the rear of my '69 for the street...only prob is I have put rim screws into the rims...think I can use the rims with BFG DRAG Radials without worrying about leaks???

My other option is to put the screws back into the rims, but then grind them flush with the rim...it's $235 a pieace for new rims, so you can see why i'm trying to get away with what I have!

Thanks for your help. Dave.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Dave, I've mounted new tires to rims that previously had screws in them with no problems in the past.
It was common for many years to screw the tires to the rims in the off-road stuff I ran. When we lost a tire in the outback, and had no more spares, we would just dry mount a new tire to the rim and ignore the screw holes.
I also ran tires on some Halibrands that were drilled by the first owner back-in-the-day for many years - never had a problem one with leaks.
Make sure the holes are de-burred from the inside so they don't damage the tire bead if there is some slippage.

Hope this helps;
John

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John...I thought there shouldn't be a prob doing it...I think I have done it years ago. Of course I will debur the rims, as you said so i won't be ripping up the tires!

It might just look funny with all them holes, that's why i was thinking of putting the screws back in, and grind them flush with rim...just a thought.

I may be lowering my car an inch or so, and I have 10" wide now and with the 275-60-15 drag radials, it just touches in certin areas, it never did with the reg BFG 275's, but the drags radials section width is wider, so hence the prob, but they sure hook better than the reg tires!

Thanks for your speedy reply...

Dave.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Yeah, intalling the screws and grinding flush would probably look better - I was never going for looks usually :D
You could also chose a small Hex-Button Head threaded bolt and tap the rims for the right thread size. I would imagine they couldn't need to be bigger than 10-24 ~ 1/4-20 (X 1/8~3/16") or so. That would give a nice look and they could be 'Loctite'd in place to prevent falling out and throwing the rim/tire out of balance.

I used to love running those Centerlines on the offroad trucks - you could just take a large 'Ford-tool' and beat them back into shape after they were tweaked by a rock :D
Very seldom bent a center, just a lot of rims ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts