Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
This is an interesting question. I don't know what type of oil to use. Most of the joints have plastic bearings and some are brass.

Product Font Handwriting Circle Plant

The joints are not easily accessible.
If you squirt the joint with oil, how does the oil get between the steel and the plastic?

Bicycle tire Bicycle part Musical instrument Wood Bumper

I replaced my broken plastic bearings with brass ones and greased them with synthetic axle grease. But in order to grease the bearings, the frame has to be taken apart. I don't think I will ever be able to grease them again.

Hand Finger Wood Thumb Nail

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would think they would've put a grease fitting on the joints that need to be lubricated. I guess I'll try the Lithium spray and see if that stops the squeaking. I don't want to have to take the whole frame apart.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use Harley Davidson Chain and Cable lube. Aerosol can and it is the shizzizzle. It’s the only thing that’s worked on my friends 72 Cutlass hinges, and he’s tries every lubricant on the market. Lots of full cans in his garage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use Harley Davidson Chain and Cable lube. Aerosol can and it is the shizzizzle. It’s the only thing that’s worked on my friends 72 Cutlass hinges, and he’s tries every lubricant on the market. Lots of full cans in his garage.
Thanks for the tip! I'll order a can. The lithium grease has seemed to stop the squeaking for now, but I don't know how long it'll last. So the next time I need to lubricate it, I'll use this.
Robert

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'll order a can. The lithium grease has seemed to stop the squeaking for now, but I don't know how long it'll last. So the next time I need to lubricate it, I'll use this.
Robert
Robert
Standard aerosol can lithium dries up and has no penetrating capabilities. It’s really a momentary surface lubricant, like on the window channels. Lucas makes a bitchin white lube that I use. Comes in a squeeze tube.
So my friend with the Cutlass calls me because he thinks he chipped a tooth closing the hood. Apparently it’s been so stiff and difficult to close for so long after using so many greases and sprays, he just uses all his weight to get it going down and pushes really hard to close it. I sprayed the hinges when I was at his place and worked it in. “Never gonna work, I’ve tried everything “….until his chin hit the hood and he saw stars. 25+ years it was always hard to close…. He had choice words but swears by it now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Standard aerosol can lithium dries up and has no penetrating capabilities. It’s really a momentary surface lubricant, like on the window channels. Lucas makes a bitchin white lube that I use. Comes in a squeeze tube.
So my friend with the Cutlass calls me because he thinks he chipped a tooth closing the hood. Apparently it’s been so stiff and difficult to close for so long after using so many greases and sprays, he just uses all his weight to get it going down and pushes really hard to close it. I sprayed the hinges when I was at his place and worked it in. “Never gonna work, I’ve tried everything “….until his chin hit the hood and he saw stars. 25+ years it was always hard to close…. He had choice words but swears by it now.
I did notice the lithium really doesn't penetrate all that well. So next time around I'll try the chain lube.
I hope your buddy is feeling better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts