Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought an 80 camaro z/28 for my wife and i think it has the wrong crossmember i have never seen a chevy with a crossmember with only 1 slot to bolt through to the trans pad!! till now is this correct for an 80 camaro??? i always had 1st gen camaros so im not real familiar!! there is a terrible vibration in 1st gear only, any ideas what would cause this?? i know the farthest rear body bushings are bad so i will replace those first? any one have any ideas?? thanx Tony

·
Super Moderator
33,295 Posts
I believe the cross member equipped is the correct one. In '70, single bolt trans mounts came out. Others here would know for sure.......

If you do two of the body bushings, might as well do the rest.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
in an 80, i think they only used one crossmember, as all the trannies used that year were the same length and all the engines were put in about the same place- assembly line cost saving measure, probably.
most GM cars from the early 70's until now have only had one bolt to hold the tranny to the crossmember- or even a stud coming off the tranny mount that goes thru the crossmember. this would seem to save GM a few pennies per car as it rolls down the assembly line, and also allow the line workers to get the thing together a precious few seconds faster, which also saves a few pennies on labor costs per car and allows more stuff to get done in any given time.
if you ever get bored and are wandering around a junkyard, it can be interesting to see how many little things they changed from older cars to newer cars just to save a few cents here and there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts