Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be dumb but I figure there are so many knowledgeable people in here that I will ask anyway. I just bought a 67, 327 cu in and the seller said it had posi but the gears are stock. Which gears do I have?

Also, anyone suggest a gear set that will be better off the line??? I'm tired of these rice-burners thinking that because they get me off the line for a split second they "blew me away." Freakin' dorks.........

------------------
'67 Camaro 327/325 hp

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Hi leftcoast. Even the most knowledgable expert on camaros couldn't tell you exactly what gears you do have without more info.
I have a 67 with 327, posi with 3:08's. It's stock. If ya crawl under it, on the pass. side of the axle tube, take a wire brush on the forward side of axle tube and find the numbers stamped on it. Sometimes they are higher than the middle. Take a good light also, they can be hard to see. Get those numbers and post them in the Tag Team section and we'll tell ya what gears it has, or should've had.
While you've got the car jacked up, spin the tire and see if they both rotate in the same direction, if so it's a posi. If one rotates the opposite way, it's a peg leg.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

[This message has been edited by stevo camaro (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey eggersn:
I have try what you suggested (light them up and count the black marks)
and well I have two black marks and i do not have a posi

------------------
68 RS ORIGINAL 327,350 trans.4 BARREL 650 CFM EDELBROCK,
HEADERS,2CHAMBERS FLOW MASTERS,3" PIPE.
12 BOLT REAR END 331 GEARS

·
Registered
209 Posts
Leftcoast, if you want a rough idea on what gears you have, you can jack up the rearend of the car so both tires are off the ground, block your front wheels so it doesn't get away from you. Rotate your rear tire one complete revolution and count how many times your driveshaft spun around. If the driveshaft spun around 2 3/4, then you have roughly 2.73 gears. If it spun roughly a little over 4 times then you have 4.10 gears and so forth. Again, this just puts you in the ball park. If you can't find or decipher any codes and you want exact, then you have to pop the rear cover and count the number of teeth on the ring gear (the big one) and divide it by the number on the pinion gear (the small one). Hope that helps.

Dean

·
Registered
77 Posts
careful though as this always doesnt work

my truck has 4.10s in it and i jacked it up one time and was curious and did the axle vs. driveshaft spin
the driveshaft only spun not quit 4 times to one revolution of the tire indicating maybe a 3.73 or a 3.90 however i am 100% sure that they are 4.10s
JMO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts