Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yep, its not a good idea to run without atleast breathers. Blow by pressure has to go somewhere, if not your breathers, than your gaskets and dipstick.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.79 @ 123.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

Member of the "unwanted" 3rd Gen group.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My all stock 67 has solid valve covers (no breathers) or a pcv valve, but it does have the oil fill tube. Should I modify it somehow for more ventilation?

·
Retired
26,595 Posts
Ken,

Your all stock '67 has a vent tube at the back of the block that connects to the air cleaner as well as the oil fill tube. Look at the base of your carb and you might even have a pcv that you didn't know about...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ken and Dennis, I've also got a stock 327/210 with solid covers and the tube at the back block Dennis refered to has a hose with a 90 degree angle that heads towards the trans and just dangles there. It's not connected to the base of my 2bbl rochester. Hope that helps. It's an early built car.

------------------
67 red camaro convertible, 78 silver anniversary vette, 1976 kz900, 1985 Z28 camaro, 1971 chevelle. Too many toys now My four car garage is no longer big enough.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sure enough! there is a tube running from base of the back of the carb (from the pvc valve I didn't know I had), down under the distributor somewhere. Thanks, guys! I still learn something new every day.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Before PCV valves, the in-block crankcase breather was connected to a "road draft tube". This was a metal tube that went from the back of the block down to the bottom of the oil pan where the end of the tube was exposed to air rushing under the car. The tube had an angled cut to help draw crank case vapors out of the block and into the atmosphere. Not very environmentally friendly, but it did the job.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/16/01 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive got a 68 with a 396, Strip Dom. intake, 850 cfm Holley d.p.,.544 lift cam, and 11.1 pistons. The block is from a 67. I was thinking about installing a set of those carbon fiber valve covers but they have no breather provisions. This is why i asked the question in the first place.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Here is a wacky idea that I utilize on my small block.. Since I run an electric fuel pump I used a plate to block off the mechanical pump connection location. I later thought that this was a good location to install a breather. I drilled a hole in the block off plate, then welded a 90deg. fitting over the hole in such a manner that when the plate was installed the free end of the fitting was pointing up and out away from the block. I then attached a pop-off style (Moroso) valve cover breather with a piece of rubber hose and two hose clamps. If you think about it this way, now the pressure generated in the bottom end does not have to force it's way past the lifter valley, or timing chain, and then up thru the heads to get out of the motor. It has a straight shot out the bottom of the motor without affecting the top end of the motor. Do I lose any oil out of the breather you ask? NO! THe element in the breather remains dry but I do notice that it gets dirty over time-either due to air passing under the car or air being drawn in through the breather. Just thought you would like to hear the idea.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
jv,

Couldn't you add your own holes for a braether/pcv? Those Carbon fiber covers do look trick
Good Luck

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 :D )
My Chevs

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
It's a simple matter to add breathers to solid valve covers. Just drill a 1 3/16 hole and insert a baffeled grommet. Then you can add a pcv or an elbow for a breather to the air cleaner. The baffeled grommets are available at most speed shops or online. Naturally you will want to remove the valve cover first and mark it so that your grommet does not hit a valve spring.

------------------
68 convertible

1 - 19 of 19 Posts