Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searches on here and even called Rick's and I'm still confused about what I need.

My 68 is presently a column shift car. I'm switching it to console floor shift (B&M) w/ factory console gauges. I'm also adding Tic Toc Tach. I originally purchased the conversion harness. Do I also need a console harness, and if so which one?
Could I have just purchased a console harness for console gauges and saved the need for the conversion harness?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
You need a console harness (auto - gauges) AND either a gauge conversion harness or gauge type dash and lighting harnesses. (conversion harness much cheaper!)

hmmm, switching from column to floor shift, you might be better off going with a new dash harness for a console - auto - gauge car, considerable altering of your stock dash harness (stuff not includied with the gauge conversion harness) will be needed to move the neutral safety and backup light switch wires to the console connector.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, Thanks for the response. Since I already have the conversion harness the best route for me would be to get console harness. Correct? Will I need to the altering you alluded it to in plan B?

My confusion with the console harness is if I buy the one you suggested Console Harness with Gauges. What do I need the conversion harness for? I was under the impression that the conversion harness is used for converting a console non-gauge car to a gauge car.

Thanks.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,351 Posts
Contact American Autowire http://www.americanautowire.com/ 800-482-WIRE
Send them your Original Dash Harness and the Extention Harness (Providing it is one of their harnesses) and they will rebuild and refurbish your harness exactly the way you want it. If you want to add Courtesy Lights, they can even add that for you. In addition, you will also need to change your Front Light Harness, Engine Harness and Console Harness.

The Conversion Harness plugs into the new Console harness that has the leads for your Gauges and Low Fuel Indicator. The Oil Gauge is a Mechanical Gauge. A line goes from the back of the gauge to the top of the block by the distributor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts