Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The muncie trans that I have has studs on the shift shafts. Do I need a hurst comp plus shifter for a 68 or a 69? I have a 69 coupe that is currently an auto. I do not plan on using a console so the shifter hole needs to be cut. I was just wondering if all of the install kits were the same for transmissions with studs or bolt on shift linkage. Could I buy a 69 shifter and use a 68 install kit? or would it be better to buy all year specific? I am planning on buying my shifter from classic industries because of there 20% discount. I can get the shifter and install kit way cheaper then summit.

Justin

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I don't believe that the shift levers in the '69 kit will fit your transmission. The levers are definitely different for studs vs bolts and you want them to fit correctly. Once upon a time, the kits used to contain both types of shift levers, but not anymore. The shifter is the same for either application but, as you suggested, you need to buy the earlier installation kit to get the parts that fit your trans.

Go on Mr Gaskets web site and download the Hurst catalog. This has a breakdown of every part of the install kit and what the application is. You can even order individual parts through Summitt racing if you need to!

Paul D.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just from my past experience having done the auto to manual conversion a couple of times, I have ordered my comp plus shifters from Jegs. Just tell them what you have and they will set you up with the right stuff. The installation kit comes included in the price of the shifter through Jegs and is way cheaper than ordering the same thing through Classic. The price through Jegs which will have everything you need is $256.99. Even with 20% off through Classic, you will be looking at $296.00 for the total set up since they sell the shifter and installation kit separate from each other. Good Luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Make sure you know which side cover your trans has. It will have either bolts or a nut that hold the arms on that the rods attach to. The 69 kits will have arms for the bolts and the 68 kits will have arms for the nuts. The two kits vary in the location of the shifter. The 68 will be farther forward of the 69 kit. My car is a 69 and I bought the 69 kit so the shifter would be in the right location in the car, but I also had to buy the arms that fit the side plate for my M20 sense it was out of a 67 trans.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might just buy a 69 shifter and a 68 install kit. I know for sure that I have the studs on my shift shafts. The trans I have is from a 66 pontiac. I replaced the tail shaft with a 68 unit that had the correct speedo location. Im not using a console so shifter location does not have to be dead center.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Get the numbers off the trans and make sure you know what you have. I bought a '68 Muncie....that had a '69 + style side cover. Realized that as we were installing it

So to make it work I bought the 68 shifter and install kit, but needed to get the 69 style shift levers to go over my side cover (the rods are the same). Hurst sells them direct. Cost me an extra $50.

Summit doesn't charge shipping, so make sure you compare apples-to-apples with the Classic Industries discount (they charge shipping). Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts