Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am installing a new crate 454 CI Chevy big block in my 1969 Camaro convertible with a stock hood. The engine comes with an aluminum intake that will accept my holley carb but is an inch taller than the intake on the 396 CI that is being replaced (old intake is part number GM 3947801). The old one has oval ports and of course the new engine has rectangle.

Having a lot of trouble finding one that will definitely fit allowing the hood to close with no problem. I am already using a low rise air cleaner kit.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mel

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
did you use clay or something on top of your air cleaner to see how much clearance you have left now with current set-up?

maybe you have that 1"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not put the hood back on yet, going to do that this week. I used a straight piece of wood to from fender to fender and the carb sits higher than that. I know the hood has a slight bow in the middle but from what I can tell it will not fit.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
2" drop base air cleaner. Wad of clay on top, close see the clearance.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Why not an original 163 intake?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rp930, thanks for the suggestion. I can't find the height of this intake anywhere. The one I have on the car now is 4 and 1/4 inches in the front. Using a holley 4160 carb.

I put the hood on today and did the clay thing scblucum said to do and it is touching the hood pad slightly. Going to stay with this one to see how much the engine moves when under load.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts