Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to buy a 78 z28. I know where i can get one for $300. It needs a lot of work but the body is good and i can turn the engine over by hand.It has a v8 350 in it. Its an automatic with a ok transmission but its been sitting in the weather four years.I have had a few people look at it with me but i want some more advise or a better idea for how much it would be worth if restored it.
thanks,
Taylor Carter

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That is a hard one to answer ... certainly, the quality of the restoration would influence the value. The 1st question is Is this an investment or A car that you like and want to restore to drive and enjoy ... I have seen 77 - 79 camaros adverstised up to about $7500 ... Of course, you could spend that much on an extensive restoration ... ( body work, paint, drive train rebuild and refresh ... brakes, suspension ) $300 is not a bad starting point ... Ask ourself how much would you be willing to spend to make that car nice... then you know how much it is worth ( TO YOU ... )

·
Registered
1 Posts
That was my first new chevy. I was 18 with a new car.
As far as what it is worth fully restored doesn't matter if this is the car you wish to build. (7,500 is the norm)You build it for the love of it and enjoy the finished product. As what wad said before 300.00 is a good base to start with. Go for it and enjoy your project while your building it and the finished product.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I'm sure if a figure of $7500 didn't scare you, then you would pick up a "real" nice original example. A $300 starter is inviting at first, but it can be a long and expensive road to get the restored car happening. Only you know what your budget is, I don't think the late 70's cars are right up there yet as far as collectibility goes.
I would shop around and maybe spend a little more to get a better car, save some of the hard work and $$$$, and you may get to enjoy it sooner. Good luck in your quest :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Todays cheap cars are tomorrows classics. My father inlaw is always telling me of the cars he used to own and how much they would be worth now. The fact that he paid $50 dollars for a running 67 GTO in 78 when they where a semi-common car. Now try to find one for under six digits not running.

I paid $1700 for my 70 camaro and I always get someone asking me if I will sell my car and they usually want to offer at least a grand more than I have paid. Now go back 10 years and no one would even look at a base car like mine and want to buy it. Watch as these smog cars get more rare people will want to spend more money for then.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The other thing you need to think about is time. How soon do you want to be riding ? A quality restoration takes times as well as money. If you are eager to ride, you need to find a car that is pretty much together. If you want a project and willing to take the time to put it together, this can be a good start. If you are doing a car to keep and enjoy, then make it the kind of car you like ... If you are looking for an investment, remember that the owner always thinks that his car is worth more than other people do. In other words, do not spend a fortune because it would be hard to get it back ... Hope it works out for you

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i have over 12 grand into a nova that has a book value of $2500 to the right person...but i have zero intention to sell it, anyways.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

1 - 7 of 7 Posts