Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

What do I need to install the aftermarket floor console guages and the tic-toc tach on my 68?
Do I need a new dash instrument circuit board for the tach? I have the fuel guage where the tach will go now, and the fuel guage will end up on the floor console. So do I also need a new circuit board made for a tach rather than a fuel guage?
Also, how difficult is this undertaking? Am I going to be waaaaaay over my head on this if I have never done it before?
Thanks a lot for all the help!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Well I can only describe for a 69 which I assume would be the same
What do I need to install the aftermarket floor console guages and the tic-toc tach on my 68?
you need the consol, the gauges and pod they fit in and the wiring loom to hook into the main loom...note there is also wiring to go thru to the engine bay for the ampmeter.
The unit we got for a friends resto also came with a wiring circuit
Do I need a new dash instrument circuit board for the tach?
No, that tach wires into the loom.

Also, how difficult is this undertaking?
Depends if you take the seats out or not..no seats lot easier
Seriously thu it is not diffcuilt , but is time consuming....just following the circuit diagrams, Wires are all colour coded...you may find a couple of wires that connect into the looms, baynet fittings inside the loom...not a problem you can feel them iside and a small cut.
If you have Air Con, pull the lower ducting out..a few screws.. to hook up the oil line and run the loom correctly behind and under it
We didnt have the radio in..pull that out to..makes thing comfortable.
Most important...get a small matress and pillow to make yourself comfortable laying on the floor...If you are comfortable, you think clearer and the job goes far better..and less stress hassles.
2x and 3x check each connection is correct before moving onto the next.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Just the under dash wiring harness for a console car with gauges and the console extension harness w/gauges. Hopefully, you already have the tach and console.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I can only describe for a 69 which I assume would be the same

you need the consol, the gauges and pod they fit in and the wiring loom to hook into the main loom...note there is also wiring to go thru to the engine bay for the ampmeter.
The unit we got for a friends resto also came with a wiring circuit

No, that tach wires into the loom.

Depends if you take the seats out or not..no seats lot easier
Seriously thu it is not diffcuilt , but is time consuming....just following the circuit diagrams, Wires are all colour coded...you may find a couple of wires that connect into the looms, baynet fittings inside the loom...not a problem you can feel them iside and a small cut.
If you have Air Con, pull the lower ducting out..a few screws.. to hook up the oil line and run the loom correctly behind and under it
We didnt have the radio in..pull that out to..makes thing comfortable.
Most important...get a small matress and pillow to make yourself comfortable laying on the floor...If you are comfortable, you think clearer and the job goes far better..and less stress hassles.
2x and 3x check each connection is correct before moving onto the next.
Cool!:thumbsup: Thanks a lot for the help on this! I was a little worried about taking this on myself sinse I do not have the gauges in my floor console, or the tach in my instrument panel.
Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
If you already have the consol in....unbolt the trans lever from the floor and the consol for good access
Whatch when putting the cover over the gauges, the cover gauge lens are rather weak set in...I ended up using small drops of rtv to hold them in place...could have used model plastic glue, but that tends to be perminent.
Watch when cliping the unit into the consol..takes a little to figure out how it goes in and the tags are not that strong....
Just be comfortable, careful patient, one step at a time and follow instructions exactly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts