Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5-spd 87 z-28, and i notice when my RPM's wind down to below 500, the car will jolt, is that a backfire? I probably shouldn't have it down that low anyway, but it happens sometimes, and i was curious as to what you guys think.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
it is probably lugging it. the engine is just going slower than it is supposed to be, and there isn't enough torque to keep it running smoothly.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quite true. Just get the idle RPM (without it in gear, at all, but neutral) to 750-800 RPM. Since yours is manual, you will be OK there. IF by chance your RPM falls back to 500 when you stick 'er into 1st with the clutch in, then you will need to look at your clutch, whcih could be dragging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Back in the dark ages engines had a tedency to die under panic braking conditions, mostly caused by pasting the fuel to the front of the car (same force that tries to hurl you thru the windshield). This would cause a sudden loss of fuel pressure & the engine would die. Around '81 THEY started putting solenoids/actuators/sensors that worked to counteract this condition when they detect a situation where it believes the engine is about to die. Several different reactions can be detected if you pay attention, but by far the most common and easiest to detect is when these electronic magic gadgits suddenly (and when you're in gear, sometimes dangerously) increases the RPM. If you find that everything else is working correctly & adjusted properly, then the best solution is to change your driving style so the RPM's don't fall below normal idle speed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx guys, I'd put my questions on a 3rd gen site, but so far, this is the only one that answers my questions well, whereas i'm lucky to even get a response anywhere else

1 - 5 of 5 Posts