Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The carb on my old 66 Chevy pickup continues to cause me problems. Its an Edelbrock Performer 600. What would be a good replacement for this? I want something that is low maintenance and bullet proof, the best bang for the buck. The truck has a mild 350 in it with vortec heads. I don't race it or anything, it is strictly a work/cruising vehicle.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I thought the Edelbrock 4 barrels was maintanance free and does not cause problems ? I am getting one installed at my local shop tomorrow ? What kinda problems you having ? Should i be worried ? It's costing me like $800 or more installed and your the first i hear it's got problems ? Oh no's !

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
holley street avenger 650!! best carb out of the box!! i install them regularly on customer cars with no issues and half the time no adjusting(half the time)

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
It's not so cut and dry Jason, Q-jets, Holleys, Edelbrocks and the others can all work very well. It's usually about tuning and being comfortible with what you are tuning more than the brand. A lot of carb problems are actually ignition related and no matter how you turn the screws the carb won't dial in. I know this is a real indirect answer to your question so being more direct, unless it's been beat on with a hammer and dropped on the ground or something the best carb for the money is the one you already have. Buy a kit and go through it, put it back to factory spec's on your work bench and you'll be way ahead of the game.

As a Holley fan I could suggest one of the Avenger series carbs but that's about $300 or $350 vs $40 or so for a rebuild kit for what you already have...

·
Registered
189 Posts
i'd think any proper fitting carb would be just fine (proper cfm etc) i think the issue is (or should be) why is the carb you have causing you so many headaches ?

might be a flithy-dirty gas tank that's all rusty that's contaminating the carb causing you havoc.

find and cure the problem ;)

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
i'd think any proper fitting carb would be just fine (proper cfm etc) i think the issue is (or should be) why is the carb you have causing you so many headaches ?

might be a flithy-dirty gas tank that's all rusty that's contaminating the carb causing you havoc.

find and cure the problem ;)
good point! are you having any issues with dirty fuel filters?? what condition is your gas tank in?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i vote for a junkyard quadrajet from a mid 70's pickup and a $30 rebuild kit.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I'm going for the good old Holley. Mine has a 4053. Bought it and rebuilt it and it is good to go. I've had good results over the years with Holleys and my only other option would be injection.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brand new aluminum gas tank, fuel filter in line too. The truck was running great and all of a sudden it starting missing pretty bad. I took the carb apart last weekend and did clean some junk out of it, but that didn't seem to help it any. It is an older edelbrock and I have no idea what kind of changes have been made to it over the years, and I'm not really a carb adjusting pro. I was just thinking a new carb might solve a lot of my headaches.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Brand new aluminum gas tank, fuel filter in line too. The truck was running great and all of a sudden it starting missing pretty bad. I took the carb apart last weekend and did clean some junk out of it, but that didn't seem to help it any. It is an older edelbrock and I have no idea what kind of changes have been made to it over the years, and I'm not really a carb adjusting pro. I was just thinking a new carb might solve a lot of my headaches.
sell that at a swap meet and get yourself a street avenger you will like it a lot!! imo..holleys are a lot more servicable than edelbrock's and everybody has parts for a holley..

·
Registered
8,305 Posts

call Edelbrock and find out what the stock calibration for your carb was, and put it back to that. throw a genuine Edelbrock rebuild kit and float in it, too.
as long as you don't have any play in the throttle shaft, you will have yourself a brand new carb for much less than any brand new carb will cost.
but i still say a rebuilt junkyard q jet is the way to go...

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I vote for the Q-Jet, BUT for the money, the old 600 cfm 1850 and 750 cfm 3310- Holley's are hard to beat.

BUT all three need to be tuned for each engines specific combination, imho.

pdq67

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
smell a lot of raw gas when I cut the engine off and it has a low idle miss...any ideas?
Possible float adjustment, stuck Float Needle, Blown Power Valve or internal Gasket Leak.

If you search through Team Camaro threads you will find that 85% of members experiencing Carb problems have an Edelbrock and the other 14% have a Q-Jet. You rarely hear about the other 1% of members complaints about their Hollies other then they like to burn gas - LOL

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
holley street avenger 650!! best carb out of the box!! i install them regularly on customer cars with no issues and half the time no adjusting(half the time)
Same here. I love my 670 SA carb. 800 dollars for a carb install though? jeez i think your paying way too much. way too much.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the edelbrock carbs. I can swap metering rods in a couple mins and jet changes without spilling any gas. They are just like any other carb, it has to be adjusted to your engine.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went through the adjustments at one time. When I got the carb it was setup for racing, so I ordered everything I needed at the time to put it back to stock specs. It has run fine for a couple of years and then all of a sudden it has got really bad. When this rebuild kit comes in I am going to carefully rebuild it and adjust it and give it a try. I remember printing out the info from Edelbrock's site before when I adjusted it to the engine...it was pretty easy.

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
Jason when all is working fine one day and the nextthere is a problem it's a good sign somethings gotten plugged or some dirt in a fuel bowl or something. Wear parts gradually get worn and any problem usually develops slowly. I bet you'll be very happy after you go through the one you have.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts