Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5-leaf springs on my 68 RS/SS with a 350.

I replaced all the worn-out bushings on the back end with Detroit Speed Urethanes and their H-D Shackle Kit.

The Shackles I removed were homemade and were 3-1/8" hole-to-hole for length. The Detroit Speed's are 3-1/2" hole-to-hole.

Currently, my car body sits 7/8" higher in the back then it does up front.

What was factory for stance?

· Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Do you have a factory assembly manual (or AIM for Assembly Instruction Manual)?

Here is a pdf: 1968 AIM Camaro.pdf

Look at Page 16 of the pdf (not the page marked 16) and following.

I don't think 7/8 difference is acceptable if you are looking at the factory settings. Lots of guys liked them higher in the back though, so no telling what has been done.

I am guessing someone here has a set of stock shackles they can measure. If no one steps up, I have a pair in the garage I can dig out. Mine are for a 69, but I believe they are identical.

· Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am guessing someone here has a set of stock shackles they can measure. If no one steps up, I have a pair in the garage I can dig out. Mine are for a 69, but I believe they are identical.
I do have an AIM, thanks for attaching the digital version!

It looks like stock was typically 1/2" higher in the front. Interesting.

Now, I need to see if the wife notices that I jacked with her car...

· Registered
1,621 Posts
I do have an AIM, thanks for attaching the digital version!

It looks like stock was typically 1/2" higher in the front. Interesting.

Now, I need to see if the wife notices that I jacked with her car...
Your measurements are all relative to options on the car, so you have to add them up and then use that number. Start with the stock 350 and the transmission in the car, then if you have AC, use those dimensions, then the options.

· Registered
140 Posts
I have 5-leaf springs on my 68 RS/SS with a 350.

I replaced all the worn-out bushings on the back end with Detroit Speed Urethanes and their H-D Shackle Kit.

The Shackles I removed were homemade and were 3-1/8" hole-to-hole for length. The Detroit Speed's are 3-1/2" hole-to-hole.

Currently, my car body sits 7/8" higher in the back then it does up front.

What was factory for stance?
Very interesting thread. I will be following along. Can you explain exactly where you are measuring from to get the stance measured? I thought mine was too high in the front myself.

· Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you explain exactly where you are measuring from to get the stance measured?
I measured from the ground up to the bottom of the welded seam under the door sills - two points furthest apart & closest to the wheels.

· Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Correct factory measurements taken are at J and K.
Not entirely clear if the AIM is describing the bottom of the pinch-weld - or, the bottom of the rocker panel where it is flat??

I measured from the bottom of the pinch-weld..
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Everybody likes photos, right? ->
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Wood Gas Tire Tool

Bumper Gas Composite material Machine Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

· Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A real positive after replacing the worn-out bushings and crappy shackles is that the car has more return-to-center in the steering. This may be caused by the slightly greater rake to the vehicle??

Either way, I am calling it a win.

I may consider a taller 15" tire in the back if I ever replace the rubber. Something with a bit more sidewall would be perfect. It has 265/50R15 Rears, now. I am not quite sure what that size would be.

· Registered
1,621 Posts

· Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB TKX 5 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. QA1 Coil O
978 Posts
After following along, I measured mine (less the hood) and the front was 8.5 and the rear was 9.25. I like that .great info guys.
Agree. Right now I am 25-1/2 and 27-1/4 at rear fender wells. Before with 2" springs in front and 2" block in rear it always looked like car was accellerating. Im happy as pig in slop now.

· Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate the dropped road-racing look. It’s cool.

But, my dna still wants to see the a$$-end up! lol.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts