Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
3,461 Posts
I have 5-leaf springs on my 68 RS/SS with a 350.

I replaced all the worn-out bushings on the back end with Detroit Speed Urethanes and their H-D Shackle Kit.

The Shackles I removed were homemade and were 3-1/8" hole-to-hole for length. The Detroit Speed's are 3-1/2" hole-to-hole.

Currently, my car body sits 7/8" higher in the back then it does up front.

What was factory for stance?
Factory shackles are 3 and 1/8 inch center to center.
Here is an NOS one.
Automotive lighting Hood Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior
Font Temperature Gas Rectangle Auto part

· Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
After following along, I measured mine (less the hood) and the front was 8.5 and the rear was 9.25. I like that .great info guys.
After a twenty mile trip through town and parked for a night...
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Springs are a finicky lot - got me second-guessing my measurements! I checked a few times.

· Registered
1,659 Posts
View attachment 301051

Springs are a finicky lot - got me second-guessing my measurements! I checked a few times.
Is this pretty close with all the options you have on the car?
View attachment 301051

When you assembled the rear springs, did you bounce the rear end a lot before tightening the shackles?

· Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Is this pretty close with all the options you have on the car?
I ran the numbers using the AIM.

Front Adjusted for Options = 9.21" , Rear Adjusted for Options = 8.86"

Super-interesting. About 3/8" high in the front off the assembly line. Currently, I am 5/8" high in the back.

When you assembled the rear springs, did you bounce the rear end a lot before tightening the shackles?
I did not.

My thinking was seeing those poly-bushing are all greased up to instructions it would not matter. Even torqued down fully, you could spin everything with a bushing by hand without too much effort.

Yet, it did settle. My bad.

· Premium Member
23 Posts
I didn't see this in the any of the above discussion posts, but you need to be on level ground, for curb weight a full tank of gas and 24psi tire pressure all four per AIM. Also bare in mind this was with bias ply tires, how today's radial tires affect this I would think it does. I suspect that you will need to determine the bias ply tires height from the ground to the center of the axle. Once you know that you should be able to see where the radials put that height plus or minus difference and adjust for it.

Radials do not have as much side wall deflection as the bias plys I believe. I suspect the Radials will be higher at the center-line. Hopefully someone with the same set up and weight as your car that are running bias ply tires can see what their cars height to the axle center-line measures.

I hope this helps and please respond back with your procedure and findings... I am curious as to what you find out, Good luck and I hope this helps. JD

· Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I didn't see this in the any of the above discussion posts, but you need to be on level ground, for curb weight a full tank of gas and 24psi tire pressure all four per AIM. JD
Those are all good points. I used the “shipped” column in the AIM which just has a couple gallons of gas for a requirement.

I certainly appreciate your insights into bias, ply, tire construction. I don’t have any personal first-hand experience with those tires.

I started thinking the same thing with the bias-ply tires. Ultimately, my question was only about stance. With all four tires originally being the same but of a completely different profile I won’t get a number for exact vehicle height - but, I will get an idea of how the car might have sat.

it appears slightly nose up off the assembly line and now tail up 55 years later in my garage.

· Registered
153 Posts
I've stressed over this issue myself on every 67 or 8 I have owned over the last years since I quit putting air shocks on them.
This is the most original 68 car I know of around here. It sits factory with radials and I measured it at the top of the center nose panel and center of the bottom of the deck lid. His is 1/2 inch lower in the front and exactly the same as mine in the rear. Stance is fine to me. I could stand a little lower in the front myself, but I think it is a 70s thing.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

· Registered
1,659 Posts
Those are all good points. I used the “shipped” column in the AIM which just has a couple gallons of gas for a requirement.

I certainly appreciate your insights into bias, ply, tire construction. I don’t have any personal first-hand experience with those tires.

I started thinking the same thing with the bias-ply tires. Ultimately, my question was only about stance. With all four tires originally being the same but of a completely different profile I won’t get a number for exact vehicle height - but, I will get an idea of how the car might have sat.

it appears slightly nose up off the assembly line and now tail up 55 years later in my garage.
Pretty sure close enough looks good enough today. I do believe shipped cars were 1/2 a tank of fuel.

· Premium Member
67 SS/RS
214 Posts
What was factory for stance?
IMO - doesn't matter, your car sits dang near perfect in my book, I like some gap at the top, to me looks aggressive.
I do agree, a little more sidewall in the back would be nice. BFG doesn't list a 265/50 that I found. They do list a 295/50, that may be what you have, those tires are wide! There is a 255 and 275 in 60 series - may be worth a look. That picture from the rear is sweet.

· Registered
Now a tribute-1968(L30/M20) Z-28 Black stripes/white, 350, M22,12bolt. WIP since 8/1979
162 Posts
View attachment 301053

Interesting, my measurements are exactly the same as this post.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts