Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
something looks weird about the hood side of the fenders? I may be wrong but it looks like the are running down hill towards the hood side? Your headlight trim looks like it is squeezed in...how bout a front on pic

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Remove the grille. Then, bolt the header up to the fenders without the header bracket in place (runs from the bottom of the header to the rad support and valance. Once the header is bolted up, then install the support bracket. Many times, (almost all, actually) the header support bracket needs tweaking as well. The header, once bolted up will help to pull the fenders into a more straight position,especially when bracket is re-installed. Once this is done, you are ready for the grille.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro LT1 with T-56
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yes they are aftermarket. Can someone measure their car where I highlighted in red? When I install without the grill, everything lines up well against the fenders and inner brace. I did however have to jump on the outer front corners of the fenders the other day to bring them down so the bezel would go straight across and meet the upper and lower trim. Her is some pics with hood (not adjusted yet.

·
Registered
768 Posts
this may sound dumb but here goes... is it possible for the grille to be upside down? o.k. rib me all you want, i've never worked on a 68 before.

BUTTTTT i did find this link to an ebay car from another thread, it's not an RS but has some really good pics of the front sheetmetal around the grille. the tops of your fenders are almost flat and this other cars fenders definately point up going towards the header panel. hope the link helps!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...62QQihZ009QQcategoryZ6161QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 67 RS/SS if you need to see a grill just click on my profile. Sorry I can not give any words of wisdom on your problem. But there is bound to be a top notch body guy on here that will come along and help you out. Good luck. P.S. I was looking at your pics. and compaired to mine it looks like the upper and lower grill molings on your car are thick and the same on the top and bottom I think I have a thin one on top and a thick one on bottom. Perhaps you have two lower grill moldings? Just I wild guess?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again. IF someone can measure the thickness of their grill perhaps to rule that out. I will buy a small bottle jack today and try spread the opening bezel area. Do I get some kind of award for the wierdest problem? The grill is not upside down, the upper and lower moldings are different from another. I hope is not the grill for a 72 pickup. Ordered it from RICKS. Feel free to give your opinion. Great site.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is it possible you have 2 lower grille moldings. I looked at my original the lower molding is about a 1/2"-1" taller with that angled mounting edge? If everything lines up without the grille(including the hood) your going to create more problems with a bottle jack. I put a straight edge on the vertical surface of the lower part of the fender where it bolts to the lower valance straight up it measures 81/4". The measurement from the lower edge (where it bolts to the lower valance) to the upper edge(where it bolts to the upper valance) a little diagonal is 8 9/16"

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I measured my old center grill from top to bottom and came up with 8 1/4" like Tinkerr did. I have a new aftermarket setup in the box somewhere and now ill have to check it to see. Definetly looks wierd. I thought I was the only one with these type of issues ! :) I'm sure a reason is just around the corner. I have my nose all apart again so cant really give you detailed specs but I have Goodmark fenders and did notice one of my fenders dips a little more than the other where it meets the hood/grill. My bodyman will have to tweak.

Heres an old pic of my front end with Goodmark stuff and my old grill just laying in there. Its 8 1/4 high at the end of the grill. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I think I found the problem. It was a mixture of the original center brace too long and curvature of the headlight area. i used a bottle jack to spread the headlight area wider and will have to cut an inch from the center of the brace and reweld. I think these pics are better. Would do you guys think

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Looks good from the front.....you'll have to see if the body lines still match the hood now.:yes:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Looks like you got her! I have aftermarket stuff on my 67...and I just dont have the patience for body work at all. But I've got the greatest body guy,I think, in Nashville to do my sheetmetal work. Guys about 60 and he had more tricks that I have ever seen. My stuff was all over the place and he shimmed here,jacked up there and believe it or not he ground down some areas to make it line-up...and that really scared me,till I saw the finished produst and my car looks great. Bottom line,I learned, with aftermarket parts and a 40 year old car it takes some "tongue in the corner of you mouth" fooling with to get it right. Looks good...glad you found it

·
Registered
100 Posts
Your a good man!!! I'da thought long and hard, ask 20 people for opinions, thought about some more, scratched my head for a while and then maybe, just maybe, put a bottle jack to the problem. Glad you were able to work it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts