Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing up a full frame off on another '69. What are the technically correct finishes for intake bolts on a small block. painted orange, natural, or phosphate.. I don't recall.............

Thanks !!

Wacky

·
Registered
650 Posts
Heh, interesting. I never would have even paid any attention to bolts. Sounds like you are really aiming at an all-out restoration as it cam from the plant. That will be a nice mouse, be proud!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
67-68 w/aluminum intake used silver cadium plated bolts. They may have switched to black phosphate in 69, or maybe big block and small block used different types.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I have to defer to the Camaro restoration experts on this one, but small-block Corvettes of the same era had black phosphate intake bolts with aluminum manifolds (same bolt that was painted over on engines with iron manifolds); all Corvette small-block engines came from Flint Engine, as did the engine in my unmolested original '69 Z/28, which also has black phosphate intake bolts.

Corvette big-blocks of the same era(Tonawanda) used silver zinc/cadmium-plated intake bolts with aluminum manifolds.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
John,
Thanks for the info. It seems logical that what ever was done in the plant would apply to Camaro as well as Corvette. Someone with a GM small parts catalog could look up the finish specs for confirmation. If there were no known finish exceptions where some were one way and some were another way I would tend to go with whatever the NCRS spec is. You could make a connection with silver cad bolts with aluminum intakes and black phosphate with paint for iron but that is just a SWAG.

While we are looking at intakes, does your survivor DZ 302 car have plain, orange or silver lift brackets. That is another area that is suspect to me from Jerry's book. The Corvette info I have said that alumimum intakes got natural or silver lift brackets while iron intakes got orange paint which seems logical.

Any additional insight is apreciated and welcome

-Mark.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Mark -

Dunno about the lift brackets - mine has none, and the intake shows no signs of ever having them. I've never owned a Corvette later than a '67, and Corvettes of that era didn't have them.

1968 was the first year for lift brackets (prior to that they were carried with scissors-type hooks under the exhaust manifolds), and the lift brackets came and went several times over the next two years - the finance types couldn't stand the thought of sending two assembly plant one-time use parts with each car. Fuzzy area to document.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
701 Posts
If anyone has been to the incredible muscle car museum in Pidgeon Forge, Tenn., The original, low miles 69 z-28 has silver cad bolts and PAINTED lift brackets. That is my reference car and I have done just about every thing the same way due to the fact that our vin #'s are only about 850 apart but about a million miles apart as far as originality.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Charley -

After I had Jerry re-skin the intake, I used new (incorrect) zinc-plated bolts and the small-O.D. AN stainless washers under them to avoid gouging the manifold surface. If I was going to have the car Diamond-judged, I'd put the original black phosphate bolts (with no washers) back on it.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The lift bracket thing got pretty weird for a while - I can't remember the timing (it WAS 33 years ago), but we were actually directed at one point to remove the lift brackets and return them to the engine plants to save the cost of the brackets, then we stopped removing them, then they told us to remove them again, etc. Can't remember how it came out, but I remember buying special flat-ratchet air tools and socket adapters to remove them due to access problems on a fully-dressed engine with conventional right-angle air tool heads.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
I'm curious myself about the lift brackets. What do they look like and where do they attach? I have a set, but not satisfied if they are at least correct for the time period. Anybody have a pic? Where they even on an 06A built Z?

Gary

1969 Cortez Silver Z28

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.