Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my fuel line from the pump to the carb. New y block. I had to remove one of the carb filter nuts to get the line off. I recently replaced the choke coil cover. While putting the line back on I found this spring on the intake manifold. Any guesses?
Hand Finger Terrestrial plant Thumb Natural material

·
Registered
430 Posts
If there is a bronze porous filter in the bowl, the spring goes to hold it against the fuel line fitting. The spring will compress if the filter gets plugged, as the fuel pressure pushes the filter off its seat.

Also, the bronze filters are actually ONE way, they flow one direction easily, the other way, not so easy. When installing the filter, make sure the easy flow direction is form the fuel line insert to the needle area, NOT reversed, On a new filter, simply blowing through the filter element will show which is the easy flow end, and the other reduced flow end.

That spring can be easily misidentified as an accelerator pump spring.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I usually remove the bronze filters in the bowls, and those springs/gaskets, and use a quality inline fuel filter between the carb and fuel pump.

If the bronze filter is installed backwards, or gets plugged, it can cause a lot of trouble, and, when that happens, those filters fail to help control fuel pump pulsations into the needle/seats.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I usually remove the bronze filters in the bowls, and those springs/gaskets, and use a quality inline fuel filter between the carb and fuel pump.

If the bronze filter is installed backwards, or gets plugged, it can cause a lot of trouble, and, when that happens, those filters fail to help control fuel pump pulsations into the needle/seats.
Not to cause a problem but to me it looks like a fuel filter spring for a Quadrajet . In any event its definatly a fuel filter spring regardless of what it fits . Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts