Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
best way that i can describe it is like a door hinge that groans.it is very faint and the gf cant even hear it but i definatly can. the noise comes from the rear of the car somewhere possibly the diff ,axles or bearings..i really cant pinpoint it. i have only noticed the noise in the last few drives at very slow speeds in the driveway but i will take it out again this weekend to see if i can be a bit more . i could be imagining it but i think it is possibly more pronounced when i turn or the ground is a bit undulating.

rear diff is a 10 bolt 8.5 with 373 gears and a detroit tru trac

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,784 Posts
Groans ?
I'd go with the suspension moving (old and worn rubber bushings ?)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
possibly Doug but spring bushings front and rear are new as well as the spring pads. this sounds more like a constant groan that is in uniscen with the car moving. its a long drawn out groan . i have had the suspension back together for a few months with no problem until just recently so it doesnt seem like its caused by the new bushs i did.

i might be way off track and i dont even know what a snubber bushing is but i have heard somewhere that this can make a groan. do you know much about it?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
When I first bought my 68 it had a similar groan from the rear end. It was more pronounced when I made sharp low speed turns to the right. Turned out to be a bad carrier bearing in the rear end housing. Fixed that and in addition the previous owner (or his mechanic) had failed to add the proper posi additive to the gear lube. Luckily the carrier, ring, and pinion were not damaged in any way. I had the gear oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs to see what's it's condition was.

·
10,144 Posts
If it's a wheel bearing, it will usually get louder when there is more load on that side. In a safe place, go 30mph or faster and swerve the car left and right and listen for it to get worse on one side. A carrier bearing will not change when the car is swerved, but both will sound higher pitched as you speed up.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Just got thru that with a MiniCooper. Turned out the rear stabilzer bushings were dry. Lubed em, groan went away. Might be shock bushings as well. If it is suspension, they can be a real booger to track down.

alan

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Sounds like a bearing..jack each wheel off the ground and spin the wheel...listen for a slight rumble.
The interal diff bearings you may not be able to pick up .....put the rear secure on axle stands, put in gear, usually you will then hear it...a mechanics stethoscope will pick it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts