Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Camaro and 2 years ago I put a 383 stroker in it to replace the tired 327. It ran good until one day I opened her up for a long stretch. I looked back in my rear view mirror to see the other cars. Then I saw some white smoke. When I came to a signal my engine was shaking and making a ticking noise. I parked and popped open the hood and my valve cover breathers leaked some oil. I drove it for another 500 miles and the sound is now coming from the front maybe in the block. Im thinking I might have spun a rod bearing. I do have vacuum leaks because in front of the intake manifold oil leaks out. I do not know if I should pull the motor out and dissamble it. I pulled off the valve covers and everything looks fine. The valves are still lashed correctly. Oil pressure has always been high. Sometimes though when I would make turns the oil p.s.i. would drop. Im running out of ideas in what to do. I would appreciate any comments for helping me solve this problem. Thank You

·
Registered
500 Posts
A spun bearing usually doesn't make smoke. If the carb leaned out on that long stretch it may have detonated and caused some piston and ring damage. The oil leaking at the front of the intake doesn't neccesarily mean you have vacuum leaks because it's a seperate seal. However if you do have vacuum leaks that would cause it to lean out. Put your hand over the breather hole with it running to see if you have a lot of blow by. That will tell you if you have pressure getting past the rings. A compession test on the cylinders wouldn't hurt either. I think I'd pull the oil pan and have a look see. You might find a piece of piston skirt. Been there, done that.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

1 - 2 of 2 Posts