Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 80 camaro with a old 350ci that can
barley move the car.it has a old 4bbl quad carb that dosent work right. what kind of carb and intake or other part should i get?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a '79 Z, I have a cam out of the 327/350hp engine, aluminum bowtie heads, an edelbrock performer intake, the stock quadrajet carb, a K&N air filter(used through the stock air intake), and dual 2 1/2" exhaust with two 50 series flowmasters. Acording to desktop dyno and then calculating it out I have arond 333hp to 340+hp at the rear wheels(this is with a 4-speed and would be lower with an automatic). I'm not sure how accurate this is because I haven't dynoed it. I would get another quadrajet carb from what I have been told. I thought about going to an edelbrock carb but was told not to. I heard as long as it is tuned right it will do just as good as the edelbrock. I have also heard that edelbrocks don't start good when it's cold. I also heard when you have been driving your car around and it's hot that if you shut it off it will be hard to start.

[This message has been edited by Sparky3 (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use the eldelbrock preformace and carb set up on mine with no hard starts, plenty of power, but it is on a 327. I also have a crane cam, with headers.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I have an edelbrock 1405 on a fairly hot (by truck standards) 355 in my 78 pickup...starts easily even below 20 degrees and fires right up even after long drives. A q-jet is a wonderful carb if set up properly and in good tune...but if your not familiar with one they can be a real nightmare.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, i've heard that about the quadrajets. I think the people who told me about the edelbrock carbs had experience with the ones back in the late 60's or 70's. I don't know if they have actually had experience with newer ones. Did the older edelbrock carbs have these problems or did I just hear bad information???

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I would suggest that if replacing just the carb, try another spreadbore carb. The reason is that the manifold is designed to flow best with a spreadbore carb like the quadrajet - STAY AWAY FROM ADAPTER PLATES! (sorry for shouting).

Of course a new intake would give you a lot more options. For a mild small block you can't beat the Performer - for a hotter street engine the Performer RPM would be great.

I would suggest a Holley 650 spreadbore with vac secondaries if you stick with a stock manifold or the Performer. Of course if you plan on building the motor more down the road, I would try the Performer RPM intake and a Holley 600 vac secondary carb. Either combo should work great on the street.

I personally would stick with a vacuum secondary carb - double pumpers are tough to make run good on the street and get horrid gas mileage. Just my opinion . . .

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 04-27-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts