Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going on guys? I am building my street/strip project 86' Z28 and I'm replacing the 305 with a forged out 350 bored 4.030. I was wondering what kinds of fuel injection you guys recommed? Honestly, I'm thinking about going with EFI. What's your guys take?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Well my personal favorite is Crower's fuel injection with red velocity stacks. On the BBC the unequal length tubes looked like an old steam calipee.But other than that I have no experience with EFI so I run carbs.

Larger Dave

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
how fast do ya wanna go...you can only easily get about 425-450 hp from a tuned port...(best gm has to offer for sbc imo) so if more than that, start reading about the aftermarket...

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
TPI. if you want aftermarket, Edelbrock TBI or the Pro-Flo. All are good units and will supply decent HP numbers....

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Jim, good suggestion. I have tried tuning Holley's EFI and ended up trading it for an edelbrock pro-flo cuz it required a laptop, and eventually became to hard to tune to get good numbers. The newer Holley setup maybe different..It would be worth a try. Laptops are easily accessible now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Holley Stealth Ram all the way my brother got one on his and it runs good only problem is it takes away some of your bottom end for top.
call him and talk about what he think would be best (336)264-6815

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have run two different aftermarket systems, the Edelbrok pro flow MPFI and the Holley stealth ram.

The edelbrok system was on a 350 with performer RPM heads and camshaft and ran very very well. I barley had to do any tuning on it and it was very realiable. Any time you change your cam you have to send your ECU chip to edelbrock to have it reflashed.

The Holley system is infinitley more tunable which is a double edged sword. If you like the idea of being able to refine the tuning then great! If you are intimidated by tuning or inexperienced then it can be tough. Some nice things about the hollye system I like are: ability to upgrade to wideband (made my tuning so much easier!), ability of the ECU to control an electric fan, tune an idle increase for when A/C is turned on.

I still can't get the Holley system to completey stop surging at idle but even if it surges it isn't that big of a deal to me since I have a manual tranny.

FAST controlled system are praised by pretty much everyone that has used one. many times when someone has problems with an EFI setup I read about the controller being replaced with a FAST unit and working great.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. But, to answer a few of your qeustions. One, I'm gonna go with aftermarket feul injection because I'll be putting out around 400-450 hp easily. However, after I break the engine in...well... twin screws will somehow find their way on top of my motor. lol I'm looking at putting out (when completely done with engine mods) around 550-600 hp. So...I guess my next qeustion would be, "what feul injection is best for supercharging?" lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts