Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
well let's see... it needs a cool name. an "artists rendering" is required as well as a professionally done flash website.
Brakes the size of turkey platter, with at least 28 total pistons. Tires 16" wide minimum, fronts too. At least $100k worth of parts stacked neatly in your 6000 square foot shop (the car is actually 1200 miles away being built in a pro shop at $225 per hour.) 30 psi of boost, headers no more than 1" off the ground, and you claim you will drive it everywhere when it's done.

(pardon me while I duck under the table!!!)

my vert was almost PT this year, but for some reason my front suspension went back together higher than it came apart, and my headers are now too far off the ground.

·
Registered
65 Posts
simple version:

Taking an older vehicle and making it equal or surpass late model performance cars in all categories:

-Braking
-Handling
-Acceleration
-Comfort/reliability/drivability

So, basically it is about making our 1st gen cars outperform 4th gen f-bodies in those categories above.

·
Registered
214 Posts
well let's see... it needs a cool name. an "artists rendering" is required as well as a professionally done flash website.
Brakes the size of turkey platter, with at least 28 total pistons. Tires 16" wide minimum, fronts too. At least $100k worth of parts stacked neatly in your 6000 square foot shop (the car is actually 1200 miles away being built in a pro shop at $225 per hour.) 30 psi of boost, headers no more than 1" off the ground, and you claim you will drive it everywhere when it's done.

(pardon me while I duck under the table!!!)

my vert was almost PT this year, but for some reason my front suspension went back together higher than it came apart, and my headers are now too far off the ground.
sounds good were can i get a 28 piston engine

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
that 28 pistons in all the brake calipers- that's an average of 7 pistons each.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
My car was almost pro-touring...once.
Then I thought..HMM....I dont have enuff money to put into it and still keep it a 68 camaro.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,665 Posts
My car was almost pro-touring...once.
Then I thought..HMM....I dont have enuff money to put into it and still keep it a 68 camaro.
I realize this is all in good fun, but what's wrong with building a car like JimM's which handles better than stock, is faster than stock, gets better mileage than stock and can be driven comfortably 1,000's of miles in a few days? Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
The fact that I would LOVE to do that to my car but I am in the Military...therefore I cant purchase parts needed to make said car pro-touring and still look like a 68 when Im done.

I can do it on the cheap I guess. ....hack saws, migs, weldin' rod are cheap enuff.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,665 Posts
The fact that I would LOVE to do that to my car but I am in the Military...therefore I cant purchase parts needed to make said car pro-touring and still look like a 68 when Im done.

I can do it on the cheap I guess. ....hack saws, migs, weldin' rod are cheap enuff.
Harley, I'm not picking on you, but my car has a stock subframe, Guldstrand mod, after market UCA/LCA bushings (not arms), used T56, inexpensive C5 wheels, recycled C5 seats, and so on. Not by any means a high dollar build. I think it still looks like a '68 Camaro. :yes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
And its an outstanding looking car! My compliments. My 'idea' of Pro-touring would be a 4th gen Camaro with Steeda suspension mods and a 68 shell around it.

I didnt intend to imply less. Besides, Just how much can a guy with 5 kids under 9 do on a budget of 2000 bux a month....?....in KA-lee-for-nee-a.

Yep base pay for a 10 yr 3 campaign, 2 war Navy Vet drum roll...2110.80 a month. Me put C5 ANYTHING in my car even from a junkyard around here is 250 bones.

No harm, no foul. I was just throwing in my .02 when you replied about my post.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Harley, I'm not picking on you, but my car has a stock subframe, Guldstrand mod, after market UCA/LCA bushings (not arms), used T56, inexpensive C5 wheels, recycled C5 seats, and so on. Not by any means a high dollar build. I think it still looks like a '68 Camaro. :yes:
Cars like yours and mine are very very real, Mike, the kind I like the best, tho I'll admit to being biased.
Not sure about the "pro" part tho.... I think I'll just label them "touring", or better yet, whatever happened to "Real Street"?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,665 Posts
Cars like yours and mine are very very real, Mike, the kind I like the best, tho I'll admit to being biased.
Not sure about the "pro" part tho.... I think I'll just label them "touring", or better yet, whatever happened to "Real Street"?
We've discussed this before. I think the naming of projects is just one step above playing with dolls; and the twin turbo, 1,000 hp builds with no wipers or heater (much less AC), and with everything that's not powder coated polished within an inch of its life are merely show cars built to be seen (and maybe driven on the power tour with 5,000 other cars there to fix something when it breaks) but not used in real life.

However, the idea of pro-touring - a classic car updated to handle and perform as well as a modern sports car while providing the creature comforts of a modern car - is still, IMHO, a great concept and a good target for a build.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The caricature-like cars which you describe (humungous wheels, 18 turbos and zero grond clearance) are not pro-touring cars. They are street rods cloaked in musclecar sheetmetal.

The current issue of Hot Rod magazine FINALLY differentiates between these modern street rods and true, functional pro-touring cars. For a few years, modern street rods have been lumped into the pro-touring category by virtue of wheel diameter. I've been calling these modern street rods "Mod Rods" for years in an effort to clarify the distinction. Today Hot Rod calls them "Muscle Rods".

I don't really care what anyone calls them. Just appreciate that there is a difference between the two build styles. As a manufacturer of pro-touring related products, the distinction is important to me.

Thank you for your consideration.
/Steevo

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
We've discussed this before. I think the naming of projects is just one step above playing with dolls; and the twin turbo, 1,000 hp builds with no wipers or heater (much less AC), and with everything that's not powder coated polished within an inch of its life are merely show cars built to be seen (and maybe driven on the power tour with 5,000 other cars there to fix something when it breaks) but not used in real life.
I don't know, the Mule (named car) has twin turbos and 1000 hp (uh-oh!) and I'll bet has more miles on it than 90% of the street cars on this site. Plus four Power Tour Long Hauls, rain, track use, etc.

I understand the show car aspect, and when it gets too pretty it's tough to go out and thrash it. I believe all the Stielow cars are used, and used hard.

Don't blame the car, blame the owner if it doesn't get used. Then again, it's his car and his money...............:)

Jody

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.