Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what makes a Camaro a Pro Touring Camaro? Is the engine, the suspension, the stance, new techonology, all of the above.

Just curious about this.

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
I didn't think it could really be PT unless you had "Project Concept" renderings... ;)

I have a lot more than wheels, tires and a stance and don't consider it PT at all...

·
Lifetime Gold Member
1,113 Posts
Call your's what you want Dennis, I never get tired of looking at your Camaro! :thumbsup:

I didn't think it could really be PT unless you had "Project Concept" renderings... ;)

I have a lot more than wheels, tires and a stance and don't consider it PT at all...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I sorta consider my Chevelle "pro touring" since it has the big wheels, slammed, brakes, OD trans, suspension, etc etc. I mainly built it how I like it and to make it drive nicer.

I couldn't come up with a cool name though, so I came up with "Project No Name". Because it doesn't have a name. Just my personal car build. I thought it was funny. :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
...what started out as "Pro-touring" is now really "Resto-Mod"... Like the link to this thread says, "today's performance with classic style":hurray:... In the last few years, with events like American Street Cars Series (run-to-the-...), Optima street car challenge, etc becoming popular, the hard-core Pro-tourers have come to use their cars to auto cross and on track days... Now, that is what is considered "true Pro-touring"...

Me? I just wanted my baby to handle like a new Camaro and look as sexy as a 45-year-old can (with some "work" done to her)...

BTW: No rendering (all in my brain); a lot of money spent (wifey reminds me every chance she gets); and a "cool name", Pro-crastination (given by my wife since I took 18 yrs to get this car to the point it is now)...:yes:

BL: Most people ask if it's "pro-tour"... I let them know that it is not and I cannot race it since it doesn't have a rollbar, but it will kick the **** out of your 'vette old man..:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are so many cars that fit the "original " idea of pro touring , basically taking and old school car and making it handle better, stopping , cornering etc..
Now there are people spending stupid amounts of money on these cars , to me i dont really care for the "all out" pro touring cars...I like the middle of the road....
Some of those other cars dont have anything in common with our cars any more besides the dang sheet metal, they Look like a 68 69 camaro etc , but nothing of the actual car is left...

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Good thread....

I like the Resto-mod if I had to pick a label. I agree pro-touring is what I'd call a hugely expensive, built for a car show like SEMA.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Pro-Touring is a car that gets a forum and Pro-Street didn't untill us Pro-Streeters complained enough to get us a forum.I almost got banned from TC for ranting so much.I'm not sure if there is a total definition for either Pro-Street or Touring because I see a car on ebay with a roll bar and they call it either one.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
To me it means that the car can run respectably at the drag strip, drive it home afterwards, take it to auto cross event w/o skidding out too often and then drive it on a couple thousand mile road trip comfortably and w/o overheating. In some ways, similar to C-5 or C-6 Vette but in case of 1st gen, retains classic styling at the core and sounds much better and gets way more style points than a typical/common Vette.

Also, somewhere in there has to be something that eminates the owners uniqueness and style. That's what I strive for in tinkering with my car but I don't like to call it Pro Touring cause that's over-used and has too often digressed to mean billet gas caps on cars with cheesy names that don't see any traffic time. Seems to me with all the popularity of racing events going on (and I think that's a wonderful twist), there is a newer breed that is strictly built for racing and could be placed in different general category. Those cars take the best of pro touring and then delete anything that adds weight or isn't essential to the mission. They also prefer to add, in many cases, unsightly spoilers that take on their own identity, yet is acceptable since competetive edge is key (function over form rules in the end). Even more interesting question is what's next. Just when it seems like it can't possibly change for the better, we get proven wrong. That's what makes the hobby interesting and dynamic. I suppose one trend that's started and will continue will be to see muscle car engines become more and more efficient/sophisticated with the help of cpus. My '07 Sierra has a 5.3L that knocks out 4 cylinders when torque isn't needed. The transition from 8 to 4 and back to 8 is seemless. I wouldn't mind that for my Camaro on a long road trip.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I call the style of my 67 day two or what it might have been like to fiz it up your own way after it was brought home. Mine is not all blingy.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts