Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have used both powermaster (about $150) from summit and also Summit's Protorque starter, also about $150. Both were in my 69 Chevelle to clear headers, and both can be used on 153 or 168 tooth flywheels. Both can be rotated on their base to clear headers. I would go with the Protorque because it is built stronger and has a better gear ratio.

My 68 camaro still has the original bigger starter with 1 5/8 Comp headers and no clearance problems.

summit starter part #SUM-820323
222ft-lbs. torque, 4:1 gear ratio, 10.5 lbs,1.9 horsepower.

or when i upgrade the one in my 68

summit starter part #SUM-820323-M
342ft-lbs. torque, 4.44:1 gear ratio, 9.5 lbs, 3.1 horsepower. $250

good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
take your pick. I'm pretty sure any of them will fit. I bet a stock high torque starter would also clear without any problems.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
7 Posts
try a 99 chevy s-10 with a 4.3 starter. It works great and has a lot of torque. When you go to the parts store ask for the permanent magnet gear reduction(pmgr). It will be listed in the catalog this way.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just a quick question about this subject. I've done searches and seen that some guys end up shimming the starter and some don't. Why is this? I want to use a mini starter, but don't understand why this turns into a job messing around with shims, when the starter bolts to the engine block itself. Why would the distance between the starter gear and the flywheel vary like that so you would need to shim it? Was this a problem with stock starters as well?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts