Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, need to start working on a new motor for my car. A little back ground on my 68 Z/28 Camaro. I bought it in 1980. The original 302 motor was FUBAR in 1974. The guy I bought it from replaced the motor in 1973 or 74 with a GM crate 370 HP LT-1 short block and over the counter Angle plug heads. So it not a matching number motor for the car. I rebuilt the 350 motor in the mid 80s. The Camaro still has the original intake, fan, deep grove pulleys, correct distributor, matching number M21 4 speed, 12 bolt with 4:11s. Problem it is tired again and has some oil leaks. I would like a engine that would run fine on pump gas without cranking down the timing to less than optimum. So I'm looking for something with less than 9.8 compression ratio.

I have a fair collection of Chevy engine core parts such as 283, 327, 350, 396, 400, 402, 427, 454 to start from should I go this route. Problem I just keep hearing bad stories about some of this area automotive machine shops around here lately. So I'm starting to think about ordering a crate motor of some sorts. Currently looking at GMs Fast Burn 385 HP and ZZ383 crate engines for small blocks. But it looks like my stock intake wont work. Also considering the ZZ454/440 big block.

So my question is what motor would you put in this car if it was yours? TIA

·
Registered
931 Posts
If the engine is running you no what you have. I would take engine out and see if needs bore. If not then refresh and possible get some other open chamber heads to lower compression down . With the 411 gears you aren't stressing the engine so much. I would try to keep the look under the hood like you have it. I would not go big block with your type of car. The machine shop problem i would give them one step of the project at a time. If you go with doing the block then have them bore it and check it before you move on. Any machine work i have done i talk to the machinest and let them no exactly what i want done and check it out when it is ready. And for some reason they mess something up then you don't have all the parts that you can't use.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
You will be fine making a junk301 and running the old 30-30 cam at 11 to 1, imho!!

And if that's too high, shoot for 10 to 10.25 to 1 CR. and run the great little old, Duntov -097 solid lifter cam.. She will rpm to 7,500 on a fresh tune-up EASY!!

pdq67

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
302!!!

mine is alot of fun!!!!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
or stay in the spirit of the 302 - short stroke - but start w/ a sb 400 block

·
Registered