Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You would think i would know a little about tag numbers but i do not.I bought a 69 the other day as a plain jane (never looked at the tag) shift on the column v8 car then one of my car buddies was looking at the cowl tag and seen X44 he thinks it means big block.Is he correct?

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
You would think i would know a little about tag numbers but i do not.I bought a 69 the other day as a plain jane (never looked at the tag) shift on the column v8 car then one of my car buddies was looking at the cowl tag and seen X44 he thinks it means big block.Is he correct?
Sorry, X44 is a base model in 99.9999% of the cars. See www.camaros.org for all of the scoop on x codes.

See this direct link, and look at the line 1/2 way down that says "Fischer Option Code".

http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml

Good Luck

Rich

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I think what your buddy was thinking about is that the vast majority of COPOs (including most Yenkos) were X44. You probably got a regular old grocery getter, but it's worth the investigation to know for sure. It would not be the first COPO discovered after the purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I think what your buddy was thinking about is that the vast majority of COPOs (including most Yenkos) were X44. You probably got a regular old grocery getter, but it's worth the investigation to know for sure. It would not be the first COPO discovered after the purchase.
I don't think it would be a COPO with a shift on the colume. Manual COPO's were 4 speeds and the automatic's were TH400's and I'm fairly certian they were all horse shoe shifter.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
If it has A/C then its not a COPO. Out of all the options a COPO could have had, A/C is about the only one they could not have. So in this case the X44 means its just an everyday Camaro without style trim. Probably a 307 engine with a powerglide or TH350.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I don't think it would be a COPO with a shift on the colume. Manual COPO's were 4 speeds and the automatic's were TH400's and I'm fairly certian they were all horse shoe shifter.
The COPO's only got "horseshoe" shifter if they were ordered with a console otherwise they got columnshift. This was a general rule for all Camaros of 1969 (except Z/28 since they only got manuals).

We have one column shift COPO here in Sweden.

Jan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.