Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read that a fiero seat will bolt into a first gen, is it also true with the 2nd gens? i have a firebird, im assuming it is the same as a camro seat.. and what other seats will bolt right in. once i was told any GM bucket will bolt right into any other GM bucket, is that true? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i found some ET looking seats in an 84 fiero.. ill pull them out sometime this week and see if they fit.. they are grey cloth but ill spray paint (dye) them black. i was really hoping to score some vinyl or leather buckets to match my rear seats.. but i dont think that will happen. any ideas guys? u think some sport seats out of an 84-90 bmw would work? kuz i got a couple sets of them laying around.

·
Super Moderator
33,211 Posts
If they are Sport seats from a 3 Series BMW, they are the cat's meow.

I loved mine in the 325iC I had, nice fit, comfortable, and multi-angle/height adjustable to whomever sit in them. And they were leather.

You would have to make an adapter plate or front & rear brackets to adapt the seat foot pattern to the floor pattern as I'm sure they are not the same. Use the same, if not larger size, Grade 8 hardware to bolt into place and hold.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, they are the recarro leather sport seats, same as th eic and the is, i have them in an 84 and an 85 325e also iwork @ a junkyard an dhave access to others. so how would i go about making them fit? just drill new holes in the floorboard? or do i add some thin sheets of steel and bolt the seats to it then bolt the sheet to the floor?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Vega (remember them?) buckets fit if you swap the Camaro tracks to them.

·
Super Moderator
33,211 Posts
Yes, JTM. I'd set the seat on the floor and trial fit it for seat stroke, short to long legged person.

Then center it to the steering wheel and place the seat in the middle of its travel on its own tracks. I would then measure the length and width for an adapter plate to connect the two together, plus add 1/2 inch passed the bolt holes.

For example, if the distance between the floorboard holes is 19 inches, make it 20 inches long to give 1/2 inch on both sides.

Use sections of cardboard for templating the adapter plates. Set the seat(s) for the best available position. then transfer the cardboard template onto the sections of 1/4 inch thick OSS (Ordinary Strength Steel, ie, Grade A36 or 1036).

Bolt the seats to the adapting plates, then bolt the assembly to the floorboard.

Now, IMO, if the adapter plate is more than 3 inches wide, front to back, I'd bolt through the floorboard and place the adapter plate under the floorboard and use it as a reinforcement plate. The reason I suggest this idea is because of the moment arm involved if, God forbid, an front end accident were to happen. The 3 inch lever would be too much for the existing seat mounting holes.

Its trial & error fit. Have a good time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.