Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Wow, nice car! Too bad it is so eaten up with rust- going to be a very costly body restoration. That driver's rocker doesn't look all that solid to me where it meets the quarter panel. The current bid is about what I think would be a fair price to pay for such a car ($20K). That being said I expect it will sell around $25K.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey Craig, I would bet that car needs even more than meets the eye. It is a crying shame that it wasnt better cared for. I still have a hard time seeing cars like this selling for that kind of money. I would have valued the car @ $10,000. Shows how much I know. By the way your 67 RS is sweet! I also live in N.Y. and have a 67 RS/SS. Maybe I will see you around someday. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bolt..thanks for the kind words. What part of NY are you from?
Regarding the car.. i know what you guys are saying. Its really rough and is going to take a whole lot of both time and $$$ to restore it. It is indeed a shame such a rare car was left to rot to that condition. I would think the actual worth should be in the 10k range as well, but knowing todays market figured 20k was probably about right.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Seller is a member here and had the ad in the classifieds for a few hours then removed it after a few comments.
Looks like a good canidate for a replacement shell or that Tony? guy in New England? that rebuilds entire shells with whatever you have left.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yes no reserve but it's for sale locally! Does anyone think that at the end of the day the car will sell for more because of the lack of a reserve even though they will just cancel the auction if they don't get the price they want?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Hey Craig, I would bet that car needs even more than meets the eye. It is a crying shame that it wasnt better cared for. I still have a hard time seeing cars like this selling for that kind of money. I would have valued the car @ $10,000. Shows how much I know. By the way your 67 RS is sweet! I also live in N.Y. and have a 67 RS/SS. Maybe I will see you around someday. Good luck!
I would think the matching BB drive train and factory documentation would add 20K+ to the value of the finished car. So to me, it should be worth at least 20K even if it needs everything.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Yes no reserve but it's for sale locally! Does anyone think that at the end of the day the car will sell for more because of the lack of a reserve even though they will just cancel the auction if they don't get the price they want?
I think it's no reserve because the seller wants it sold and wants buyers to know they are bidding to own. Don't count on the auction being cancelled, seller just picked this up a month ago at a bargain price, probably just to flip it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently bought an L-78 RS/SS rag that was sold new at that same dealership! Those Canucks ordered some interesting cars.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I recently bought an L-78 RS/SS rag that was sold new at that same dealership! Those Canucks ordered some interesting cars.
Phil, for me the 68 RS/SS/BB/4Spd/Convertible is the ultimate first gen. There have been 3 L78's I have seen for sale in the past year. Could you provide more details on your purchase and the market prices for these cars?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought the car in Missouri but it had spent most of it's life in Thunder Bay Ont. The car is Ash Gold and well optioned. P/s, p/b, p/w, p/t, deluxe int, head rests, bumper guards, m21, console/gauges, am/fm stereo etc. As far as values are concerned, I'm not really sure where the market is on these cars. There are so few that have docs that it's hard to establish a market. Personally I'd rather own an L-78 rag (any year) than a COPO. The rag is much rarer and displacement is the only real mechanical difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seller Emailed me back "Car hasn't been driven in 10 years, whatever it sells for is what I"ll take" lets hope he doesn't cancel his No Reserve auction.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its up to 24 Grand..i would say he should be happy with that. As mentioned above..That car looks to have quite a bit of rot and is going to take a boatload of cash to do right. It sure looks original though..can still see the firewall markings. Are you high bidder??

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Sounds like you are bidding on this car.
I don't think seller will cancel, he is so far in the green it wouldn't make sense.
If you are bidding, have you inspected the car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
James.. are you talking to me or goalsett? Im not bidding on it.. i thought about it briefly in the beginning. Would love to own a pedigreed documented car like that but i dont have the motivation its gonna take to restore it the way it should be.
At $20K was interested, not $24K. I'd rather pay $30-40K and already have the hard work completed by professionals. Had a '68 as a kid so have a soft spot for them, even though the '69's get the high prices.

I've not inspected it, my guess is $15-20K in body work including a base coat/clear coat paint? In other words any profit cushion is gone at $25K sale price.

Doesn't replacing the body with the new Dynacorn unit kill resale value? Plus the Dynacorn ragtop body has mini-tubbed wheel wells lol there goes your rear seat.

Anyone venture a $ estimate to bring this jewel back to it's glory days?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
At $20K was interested, not $24K. I'd rather pay $30-40K and already have the hard work completed by professionals. Had a '68 as a kid so have a soft spot for them, even though the '69's get the high prices.

I've not inspected it, my guess is $15-20K in body work including a base coat/clear coat paint? In other words any profit cushion is gone at $25K sale price.

Doesn't replacing the body with the new Dynacorn unit kill resale value? Plus the Dynacorn ragtop body has mini-tubbed wheel wells lol there goes your rear seat.

Anyone venture a $ estimate to bring this jewel back to it's glory days?
The term restoration has many different meanings, so this is a difficult question to answer.
A concours winning restoration by a top shop, would probably be over 100K.
An amature restoration using some proffesional services, but doing alot of work yourself, 25-35K

1 - 20 of 33 Posts