Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Alternator Charging (Stock 60A alt) wire running from alt to batt in trunk 4 gauge....

-4 gauge running from batt in trunk to terminal block in engine comp....

-MSD 10 Ga running from engine comp to batt in trunk...

-14 Gauge wire running from engine comp to starter Solenoid in trunk...

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't fuse any of that. I would fuse EVERYTHING coming off that terminal block tho.

Well I still have the fusible links comming off it. (I ended up cutting all the power wires that were spliced together and installed a term block.) I believe one is on the horn relay And theres another to the regulator. I don't think theres one going back towards the firewall. I guess that goes to the fues panel right?

The MSD just goes right to the batt. Shoud that be fused? I think the 6AL box has a fuse.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well ok, I guess no fuses needed!:D

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna bring this back because it bothers me. The wire running right from the alt to the batt in the trunk. It would make me feel better if I put a fuse a couple of 4ga feed off the alt. I know you say not to , but what will it hurt If I put say a 70 or so Amp fuse to protect the wire running to the trunk god forbid a short happened?

Also putting a 70 amp fuse in the rear for the 4GA wire running from the rear to the terminal front block to prevent a short if it ever happened?

I'm just looking to protect myself somehow with the wires running through the car.

·
Super Moderator
32,349 Posts
With the engine off, current will be from the battery.
With engine running, alt will supply current back into battery for charging.
To gain sleep, you have the choice of fusing both ends to protect the power source, although not needed.

A well supported and protected wire won't need a fuse as all the other circuits fed from the power lead are fuse protected. Supported and protected means a wire having convoluted tubing around it for its run and supported & grommeted to prevent chaffing going through the walls and protected from vibration-scuffing of insulation from metal vibration - convoluted tubing will do this task.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the engine off, current will be from the battery.
With engine running, alt will supply current back into battery for charging.
To gain sleep, you have the choice of fusing both ends to protect the power source, although not needed.

A well supported and protected wire won't need a fuse as all the other circuits fed from the power lead are fuse protected. Supported and protected means a wire having convoluted tubing around it for its run and supported & grommeted to prevent chaffing going through the walls and protected from vibration-scuffing of insulation from metal vibration - convoluted tubing will do this task.
I hear ya. I put all good grommets in. Did one of those bulk head connectors under the heater box through the firewall for the starter. Ford Solenoid in the trunk. I went ahead and lined the metal the wire was touching with extra dynamat I had. I even covered some wire with it to protect. I would hope it will be fine. If I ended up doing fuses would that cause any problems?

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts