Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tired 350 that is missing on #5 cyl. in my '67 vert.
I probably only need some valve work done to fix the miss but she is very tired so I'm entertaining the idea of doing a complete rebuild or swap. What are some economical options to replace my current engine? This is a weekend driver and I don't need anything crazy but I would like to wake it up while I'm investing the time and money into this. Consider this a budget build...$2500-$3000 max.

I already have an M20, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Magnaflow 2.5" dual system waiting for the new engine.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Let us know what type/year engine you have. I would build to 67 350/295 4V specs., depending on machine work, engine, heads and condition, you should be under $2K with new CPPTB. Would be better to blue print and bal. IMO.

Like John said, a quick GM crate 330 HP might be the way to go but I prefer keeping it year correct anyway.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to go with a fresh crate motor but I don't think I can stay within my budget going that route. The current 350 is not factory original to the car. My local machine shop can rebuild or core exchange it for a fair price but I'm curious what list of components would get me the best bang for my buck.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
What year engine do you have now? Do you know what type of heads?

·
Registered
857 Posts
if its a 4 bolt main build a nice 355 out of it
bore it .30 over use a set of forged flat top pistons
tell the shop to keep it around 10-1 comp (pump gas friendly)
use a set of 2.02 gm or aftermarket heads with ss valves use a 64 cc head or somewhere close
run either a flat tappet or a retro roller comp cam 280 magnum cam (nice thump and power but street friendly)
for 3000 you could probably get a steel crank to boot
i just built this same engine for around 3000 using a set of rebuilt 041x gm heads
should make around 400-425 hp
im running the same rpm intake with a 750 holley and an m-20

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The machine shop can upgrade to double-humps for about $400...is that worth it?
How lopey is that 280 magnum cam?

·
Registered
857 Posts
the machine shop that built mine dynoed it at 424 hp with a holley 4779 (4150 series) 750 with mech. secondaries and manual choke.
if the double humps are rebuilt with ss valves and good springs etc. 400 is a good deal
what casting numbers are they? 186,041,462?? these are all good hp heads but some dont have accessory holes for (alter, air etc.)!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
the 280 magnum is like 2-3 steps above a stock 290 hp cam
example
standard cam
then an rv heavy towing cam
then a 270
then the 280
I have had this cam in several sb set ups and love the power range and drivability.
just keep in mind about 75 percent of the power in an engine comes from the cam and heads the (heart and lungs of a motor)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice.
I could definitely live with that.
I think my machine shop offers 12mo/12k miles warranty.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I would build a 10:1 383, vortec heads, XE274 comp cam, roller rockers, performer intake, 650 mechanical secondary holley.

this is a friend's 69 with a 350, 882 heads, performer eps intake, 670 avenger, XE274 cam, 1.5 roller tip rockers, M20, 3.73 gear, headers, 2.5" exhaust.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I thought we were just building a weekend driver not a ground pounding 500 HP jet :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts