Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PO installed Electric fan, which I like, but he mounted to box/swith that adjusts the temp that the fan comes on on the back side of the fan shroud. Not only is it ugly, it leaves wires zip-tied all over the engine compartment.

Getting to the point: where should I mount this thing where it will be with in reach for adjustment when I need it, but where I won't have to look at it?

If anyone has pics of where they mounted theirs, I'd be much obliged.

Will post a pic tomorrow, if it will help, but it's about 4x2x2.

·
Registered
158 Posts
PO installed Electric fan, which I like, but he mounted to box/swith that adjusts the temp that the fan comes on on the back side of the fan shroud. Not only is it ugly, it leaves wires zip-tied all over the engine compartment.

Getting to the point: where should I mount this thing where it will be with in reach for adjustment when I need it, but where I won't have to look at it?

If anyone has pics of where they mounted theirs, I'd be much obliged.

Will post a pic tomorrow, if it will help, but it's about 4x2x2.
I had installed the twin fans so had 2x relays etc to hide, I purchased a small alloy box and fitted the thermo switch and relays inside and mounted the fuses and the adjusting temp switch to the outside and in turn mounted this by the radiator and the horn relay.

This shows the two fuses and the thermo switch mounted

Mounted by the radiator

·
15,376 Posts
Mine is right under the horn relay because the capillary tube is run to the upper radiator hose. The capillary wire is just bent to a 90 where it gets to the radiator and straight up the side to the hose.
The wires to the fan run down to the bottom of the shroud and across to the drivers side, up the core support and I put the wires in small split-loom. But the relay I plumbed in is all the way over to the battery side... with the wires running through a hole in the core support (more small split-loom) and along the harness up underneath where the horn wires are. Zip-Tied to the harness and hidden.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But the relay I plumbed in is all the way over to the battery side... with the wires running through a hole in the core support (more small split-loom) and along the harness up underneath where the horn wires are. Zip-Tied to the harness and hidden.
Hmmm... I think my relay is over on the passenger side, oddly. Looks like I'm going to have to get some more wire to get this thing hidden away properly.

Thanks, Joe!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Hid mine under the window washer resevoir.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the temp sender wire was long enough, I'd have put it IN the car. I hate wires and crap in the engine bay.... so don't ever look in mine. ;)
Funny you should mention that. PO gave me all the paperwork/manuals he had on hand, and it actually references an "optional" switch that allows you to control everything from inside. I was thinking, "why didn't they just make everything long enough to mount inside the car in the first place!? So now that you bring it up, I measured the temp sender and it's a good foot and a half too short, to run it from inside the car, of course. Thought I could just solder some longer wires on there and run it through the firewall and up under the dash where I can reach it but not have to look at it... Guess I'm not that lucky though.

I hate wires everywhere, too! You should see the rat's nest that's on my dining room table right now -- wife not happy :noway: -- while I attempt to un-screw the mess that PO made of the front wiring harness. Everything was mostly hooked up right, but it was just a mess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts