Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a new Rear Body Harness. I had to partially remove the LH kick panel to route the new harness and I found this mystery plug behind the kick panel. It wasn't connected to anything and I haven't been able to figure it out. Anybody know what it is? Is it the secret to more speed??????

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Couldn't view your link because it looks like it is derived from your private account. It gives an error stating that I am not authorized to view this account.

Is the plug rectangular with about 20 pins or so? If it is, then it is the rear body harness plug that connects tail lights, fuel sender, dome lights, etc to the under dash harness.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
same plug I have in my firewall though mine wasn't connected to anything either.. I just use it as a passthrough for my ignition and fuel pump.

Though it would seem that it could have been used to run power to the kickdown switch located on the manifold.

Where does yours tie into?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasn't attached to anything, just hanging behind the drivers side kick panel. It looks as though it hasn't been attached for a long, long time. The two wires that come from the plug are light green and dark green. I haven't been able to trace them into the dash yet, I was hoping I would have to crawl under there.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
This thread has a wiring diagram for a '67. It may help. Other searches might turn up something. web page Good luck

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Backup light switch connector I think. It hooks up to another plug on the end of a harness attached to a switch mounted to the tranny.

Just a guess

-Mark.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Thats a stumper. Looks like its a lightgreen / white and a dark green wire. Not sure if the other cloth covered wire is attached or not. But look through those schematics for LG-W and DG to see if you can figure it out. Can you tell which direction those wires head - rearward or forward.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Stingr69 got it right. It is for the back up lights. That end goes through the firewall, and the harness from the trans. switch plugs into it.

·
15,370 Posts
Which type of tranny? What switch?

I poured over the '68 schematics last night and you're right, the only thing I could come up with was rear lights in some way because they're (almost) the only things fed by LG and DG wiring. But I couldn't find anything on any of the harnesses that showed a single connector with two wires in it. The LG and DG wires were all seperate.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
3 or 4 speed trans. The back up switch is mounted to the trans., and activated by the reverse lever of the shifter. You can see the setup, and the plug-in connection, in the 68 AIM at UPC M20-A7.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info - I have never had backup lights, in fact, the previous owner clipped the backup light sockets off from the wiring harness.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Sounds good, though with a turbo 400 the backup switch mounts to the shifter tunnel underneath the console..
Eh oh well, makes for a nice passthrough on the fire wall for running an elect fuel pump or kill switch to the coil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts