Heads: Edelbrock 60459
BB-Chevy Performer RPM Aluminum Cylinder Head
290cc Oval Intake Ports
110cc Combustion Chambers
2.190'' Int/1.880'' Exh Valves
1.550'' Valve Springs, .700'' Max Lift
7/16'' Rocker Studs

Cam Kit: Edelbrock 7162
Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Duration 300/306, Lift .560/.573, 112 LSA

I am going to bore it out to 4.310 and stroke it to 4.250 to make a 496, but what type of pistons will I need to get a good CR? I will be using pump gas 91-93 octane and it will be driven mostly on the street (m21 trans). Thanks.

Since we all like pics..

·
Registered
213 Posts
What size rod are you running? A low profile dome piston is what you would be looking for. Assuming your running a 6.385 rod the following will work:
KB787 = 10.2-10.3:1 Compression
SRP #145376 = about 9.8:1 Compression

-5cc - -12cc dome will be in the range you want.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
I would wait until alll the machine work is finish.

Im running these SRP Forged slight dome in my 10.5 BBC 498 pump gas

Scat Forged Crank

Scat Forged H-Beem Rods

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would wait until alll the machine work is finish.

Im running these RMP's Forged slight dome in my 10.5 BBC 498 pump gas

Scat Forged Crank

Scat Forged H-Beem Rods
Very Nice...whats your combination? Im just wating for my heads from AFR to finish up so I can dyno my 496! :hurray:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I will wait for the machine work to finish and I will see what they say. I will see what they say for rod size as well.

thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
How about a much better cam...you are doing a disservice to those heads and cubes with that cam choice. I'd like to see more lift..alot more.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Picked out a crank and h-beams, and the rods are 6.385. Might be a dumb question, but do these pistons come with rings? I am assuming all pistons come with them, but thought I might double check. Also what is better internal or external balanced crankshaft?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-KB787-060/?image=large

Thanks.
They will not come with rings, you will have to purchase them seperatley. I would go with what the manufacturer of the pistons recommend. Get your whole rotating assembly INTERNALLY Balanced. If you purchase it already balanced through Scat or Eagle, I would have your shop double check it as they are not always dead on.

Did you already purchase your rotating assembly?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't purchased out my rotating assembly, but I was looking at internally balanced forged Scat.

The cam is part of the top end package, but I can always go with another one. Anyone recommend a better cam?

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
I haven't purchased out my rotating assembly, but I was looking at internally balanced forged Scat.

The cam is part of the top end package, but I can always go with another one. Anyone recommend a better cam?
Ill send a picture of my build sheet, which we changed cams to a comp cam solid roller XR286R on a billet core with a pressed on gear. 254 @ 50 AND 660 LIFT 110 LS.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Scat is a good way to go. Kit #1-42310BI is what you would want with a .060 piston. It will most likely come with a Mahle piston, sometimes JE or SRP. You can request which one you want as well. all are a great piston. I can help you out on pricing if you'd like. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I just finished a 489 inch race engine using an Eagle kit.Then you pay the extra 200 bucks for the balance job,they do in fact balance it.I used the kit with a 4340 crank and H beam rods,it came with MAHLE 18cc dome pistons with metric rings placed low on the piston and a valve notch to clear .750" lift.This setup is designed to give a true 10:1 with 118cc heads,zero deck and a .035" gasket.I will be running it with a .720 lift cam and the heads are milled to 110 cc's,whch will bring the compression up,and it will be shot with a 250 shot of nitrous as well.I figure about 1000 hp total,this kit will give you 10:1 compression and should be more then durable enough for your combo.The kit including balancing was $2200.BTW,thats an internally balanced kit.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
I just finished a 489 inch race engine using an Eagle kit.Then you pay the extra 200 bucks for the balance job,they do in fact balance it.I used the kit with a 4340 crank and H beam rods,it came with MAHLE 18cc dome pistons with metric rings placed low on the piston and a valve notch to clear .750" lift.This setup is designed to give a true 10:1 with 118cc heads,zero deck and a .035" gasket.I will be running it with a .720 lift cam and the heads are milled to 110 cc's,whch will bring the compression up,and it will be shot with a 250 shot of nitrous as well.I figure about 1000 hp total,this kit will give you 10:1 compression and should be more then durable enough for your combo.The kit including balancing was $2200.BTW,thats an internally balanced kit.
That sounds like a mean machine... Take some picks and a video:yes:.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts