Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in my never ending quest to keep working on my 69 RS, I had posted a steering box change/upgrade a while ago. Thanks to everyone, I am not going to get a Flaming River Vega box but will replace my leaker with another GM unit. I saw on Ebay, a person offering a quick ratio 69 Z28 unit with the number 5679142, which is also on mine. Do I have a quick ratio? I checked the lock to lock and got about 4 1/4 turns.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Rick. its been about 15 months since I've driven my 68 ss with quick ratio steering but the best I remember it was only 1-turn from lock to lock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 69 RS/SS had variable ratio steering which is about 2 turns lock to lock. I had to replace it due to too much freeplay. I replaced it with a standard camaro box, which is about 3 turns lock to lock. Im gonna get the original box rebuilt.

By the way both are power steering boxes, usually manual steering boxes are a slower ratio, to make a little easier to turn (not much at all though)

·
10,164 Posts
If it's a manual box, it's fast. I've seen 7 turns lock to lock on standard manual boxes. Why not fix the box you have now?

That variable box should be adjusted by taking up the lash adjuster screw on the top.
Do it with the steering centered on it's tight spot. Don't over do it or you will have a box that sticks on the steering postition you put it.
David

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 03-28-2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to say that it's a manual box. How difficult is it to rebuild myself or can someone recommend where to send it. It seems I may have the quick ratio manual box. This car has surprised me at times by work done in it's past. Mullins wants $395 for a Q/R rebuilt unit with only a $40 core which makes me want to keep this for rebuilding myself or swap meets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts