Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think the difference in value would be between these cars: a 68 RS convertible with 6 cyl 4 speed or a 68 RS/SS convertible CLONE with a strong 350 4 speed.
I am trying to decide if it would be worth my $$ to convert to the clone before I get new paint and top. The engine and rear end would be the biggest change, most everything else will be the same. I will try to do a good job of making it a clone and definately would advertise it as such (the 6 cylinder VIN number is kinda hard to get around anyway!)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I would think the 6 cylinder car, if it is totally original, will be worth more than a clone RS with an 8 cylinder motor.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is an original RS convertible 6 cyl 3 speed. I put a 2.0 muncie in it. To go to the SS clone would not be much: badging, striping etc just mostly engine and rearend. I am afraid you may be correct that the # matching 6 cyl may be resellable for the same or more than the SS clone. I have to believe there would be a gretter market though for the SS V8 and look. So I've got to decide how much to spend to go that route.
Besides my foot's itchey for what we own a Camaro for anyway.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It sounds to me like you want to build up the car in a non-stock way anyway. Am I right? then get the better platform from which to start.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course I'll be changing from stock in a major way, but I don't understand about the best platform.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so you don't think the SS over just going V8 would make much difference. What kind of $$ difference do you gestimate the two to be. I'm trying to figure out how much I want to spend.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 6cyl conv is rare I know a guy here in VA that has one for sale but needs work. The bad thing is that nobody pays much money for them even when they are restored Goood Luck

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
waht I mean by the best platform is that since you are planning from deviating from stock, you might as well just buy the one in the best shape... in my opinion of those two the one in better shape should be worth more other than a little extra $$$ for that convertible top option. However, the "strong" 350 and 4 speed in the coupe probably offsets the value of the convertible top because the convertible car has only a 6 cylinder and 3 speed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Boodlefoof, I think he already has the car (6cyl RS convert.)

I agree with Clill, put in the V8 but don't clone the SS. Worth just as much and its not a "clone" it just doesn't have it's original engine. My $0.02.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

1969 SS: Matching # 350/300, M20 4-spd, 3.55 12-bolt posi, Daytona Yellow, Black Houndstooth, Factory Gauges, Spoilers, etc.

'85 Z/28, Rare Factory Yellow, 355 TPI w/ Crane Compu-Cam 2040, Crane adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 22# Injectors, TPIS Airfoil, K&N filters, Hypertech ThermoMaster Stage 2 Chip for '85 Vette, 160 Degree Thermostat, DynoMax Cat Back Exhaust, Rebuilt/Updated 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.23 posi rearend.

[This message has been edited by DWCamaro69 (edited 11-08-2001).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 68 RS Camaro-completely original,6 cyl-powerglide,3:08 posi, 71,000 orig miles,butternut yellow with ivy gold interior. RAN like new.When i say RAN i mean i recently pulled the 6,put it on an engine stand and dropped in a bone stock 67 327/210 engine.The starter from the 6 bolted right in. The 2-core radiator cools it just fine.I was going to change the front springs but it has new gas shocks and sits just right up front.Would i do it again? YES and i still have the original engine. The dual exhaust and turbo mufflers make the car sound much better.

S

·
0 Posts
If you wanna clone the car, make it a RS Z/28? at least it would bring more money then a SS would.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
First of all noone pays much for a 6. Second of all if you didnt like the car then why did you buy it in the first place? Third if you must put a V8 in it then why does it need SS badges? All this "Cloning is killing all the LEGIT Camaros out there. Z28's are so plentiful I dont even look at them anymore no matter how real they are.
Why put badges on something that it is not? My RS is a 1968 RS with A/C and a 327, 275 HP, nothing more nothing less!
JA

------------------
John P. Allen
Sunnyvale Ca.
68 RS, 327 w- A/C
70 Buick GS455 Convertible

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I figured I would get some flack from the purest. I've tried to be one for 3 years now but I'm slippin.
Of course I already have the car and have I've been putting off paint & top for 3 years and am finally getting closer $$ wise to doing it.
First off I wouldn't even think about cloning a Z/28 (duh it IS a ragtop).
Next I would keep the original 6 and 3 speed/linkage to sell with the car.
It's really not the SS look I want. I do want a spoiler and paint it Kelly green with a white BB stripe.
Last and most important is I want the feel of some power again (haven't had it in 20 years) and I think I should do the engine/rear end maybe springs all before doing paint & top.
It does seem like y'all agree the V8 would sell faster and for more. I'm still fishing for someone to throw out $ as to what the resale difference would be in the same car 6 cyl/3sp original vs V8/4sp.
(Please don't mention this in a response but I am looking for some proof that $$ spent may be $$ returned, not just thrown away so I can convince a certain someone if you get my drift.)
One last note, there is one alternative to this that I keep wandering back to. Why not sell the RS in it's current shape for hopefully what I've got in it and put that plus what I was gonna spend and get a 57-62 Vette which is what I really want. Actually I want both but that'll happen when pigs fly
and yes I have Animals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts