Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on the Craftsman site....most multimeters are in the 30-50 dollar range
There were a few professional grade ones for a few hundred...

I will be replacing the wiring harness on my 68, and I know I have a ton of electrical issues in my near future...

What features would be useful?
What should I look for?

So far, I gathered that a digital readout is the way to go (more accurate)

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you
Scott

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
As for the $200 meters verses the $30 meters, usually accuracy and brand name is what you are paying for. But when you think about it, unless you are calibrating equipment for a living, accuracy isn't worth a lot. I mean afterall, is 0.001% accuracy better than 0.1% accuracy. Not to me - especially for automotive work.

Desirable features:
Diode check function.
Continuity checker (with Beeper).
Fused 300mA and 10A ampmeter scales (or similar).
Auto power off.

Additional benefits for automotive:
RPM reading.
Temperature.

The Basics:
Volts AC and DC, Ohms, millivolts, Amps.

Over the top:
Frequency reader.
Transistor checker.
Capacitance meter.
Delta display.
Min, Max, Average
Peak Hold.

The over the top stuff costs a bit more money and doesn't get used all that much. Stick with the basics plus the desirables. The automotive features are nice also. You should be able to get a nice meter for less than $50.

·
Registered
409 Posts
oh come on dnult . . . don't we all need to be able to check thermocouplers?

I bought a ~50 craftsman unit (think it's really a fluke) does all the necessary and then some

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I use a Fluke 179. A little over-kill for what you want, but good to have in the collection.
There was a small re-call on that model pertaining to a delayed display of readings over 500 volts. Fluke solved the problem and its a fine little instument.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mine is an older Beckman that I believe was bought out by Fluke. Its one of the pencil type with AC/DC, ohms, continuity and hold. Works great especially when youre under a dash because its right there where you can see it. I have one in the garage, one in the house and one on the bike. I have a full tilt meter that was given to me as a graduation present. I haven't used it in years.
If I was in the market for a big one it would have to have a tone generator, impedance meter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts